Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question About Filtering Honey  (Read 3594 times)

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
Question About Filtering Honey
« on: June 27, 2008, 01:58:10 am »
I have a plastic bucket with 2 plastic filters that fit on the top - one coarse and one fine.  Do you use one at a time and filter twice?  Or do you nest them and filter once?

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
Re: Question About Filtering Honey
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 02:37:44 am »
You can do whatever you want.  I filter once through a "medium" filter like the kind you describe.

I like the name Sarafina, by the way.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:11:33 am »
Do you use one at a time and filter twice?  Or do you nest them and filter once?

I do both at one time.  I have a stainless steel filter.  Best investment in my arsenal (besides the bees).
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline DrKurtG

• House Bee
    • My Bee Journal
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 10:13:41 am »
I filter once through a fine wedding veil.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:31:30 am »
i filter once through a coarse filter i got from brushy mountain that fits over the top of a 5 gallon bucket.

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:50:47 pm »
What's a finer cloth than cheesecloth for a second filter?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:36:44 pm »
Pantyhose....I filter once thru pantyhose. Remember filtering can add many small bubbles to the honey so I would not do it more than once if, like me, you don't heat your honey.

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 04:44:06 pm »
I nest the two ( or mine came with 3) sizes inside each other- smallest mesh on the bottom. This year I'll lay cheesecloth inside of it so that after it is done draining I can take the wax still in the cheesecloth and put it inside one of the hives for them to finish cleaning the wax up, they get almost every last drop and leave the wax pretty clean for me! I used to just put the whole screen(s) in the hive but I left it on too long last time and they chewed a hole in it :-\ so I figure I can sacrifice the cheesecloth. Good luck and happy honey harvest!
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »
I don't filter.  I drain honey directly from the extractor into a gated food grade 6 gal bucket, cover it and let sit maybe 2 days, and before I fill jars I gently scrape off most of the cappings.  The last couple jars are mine so I don't care how they look.  All the rest are clear and free of bubbles and wax.  Then I can also say it's unfiltered. 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 03:24:31 pm »
I line the pulp baskets on my cider press with old flour sacks, pillowcases work too, when I crush and strain.  Haven't found a need for additional straining although I do use a tea strainer to catch stray bees that get stuck in the honey.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything