Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sourwood bloom  (Read 1754 times)

Offline stinger27

• New Bee
sourwood bloom
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:12:11 am »
    I took this picture today.  Won't be long and my girls will be all over it.
Bee Safe,
    Stinger27

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
Re: sourwood bloom
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:23:52 am »
I checked my trees today, too.  I'm just a day or two ahead of you.  Do you think the blooms will open any faster if I talk to them everyday?! :-D

Offline DrKurtG

• House Bee
    • My Bee Journal
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:53:42 am »
Just finished jaring 50 8-oz bottles of sourwood. I have one more super sitting on the hive that is about 50% full. The flow has slowed down, may even have stopped. Will check tomorrow. First honey collection for me! Thrilled right down to my toes!

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:18:13 am »
I'm envious! Not enough sourwoods in Piedmont NC to make a harvest BUT I have a place in Blowing Rock that I could put bees next summer. Ambitious for a beginner, I know, but the tulip poplars  and sourwood are so prolific up there and everything is a week or two later than here it seems an ideal place. Would have to move a colony from here in the spring & back in the fall -- no one to take care of them in the winter, not even a passable entry to the place then.

Where in SW  VA are you? I was in BR a little over a week ago and the  sourwoods were just starting, the tulip poplars were just finishing.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline DrKurtG

• House Bee
    • My Bee Journal
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 11:54:21 am »
I am about 40 miles south of Roanoke. Just checked the super. All ten frames are pretty full, however the entire supper is only about 40% capped. I just placed an empty super underneath. I am hopefull that the sourwood will continue to come in for at least one more super. From what I've read, we should get something else around the middle of July.

For every batch that we harvest, one bottle is reserved. My son, my wife and I then eat a few teaspoons every day for a week or so. We figure if we don't get sick in that time frame, the honey is good to go to market!!