Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: You tube video my customer filmed, JP  (Read 14297 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: You tube video my customer filmed, JP
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 01:54:29 pm »
Yes I did Ann, they are in my back yard as we speak. If you start calling me by my real name there will be a lot of cofused people here. :-D Besides we have a lot of Jeff's on here already! ;) But you can refer to me as you like, no pressue here.

....Jeff (aka JP)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »
JP

That was so awesome. So that vacuum sucks them into that box?? Then you just shake them from the box into the super?? What is in the super to keep them from running out to their old home???

I wish I could run around and watch you do these cutouts. You make it all look so easy.

Thanks for sharing
Annette

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 02:54:20 pm »
Ok, JP it is - although I do like knowing the real names, it's more personal  ;)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 03:03:54 pm »
[quote author=annette

So that vacuum sucks them into that box??  > Yes, but I try to use it sparingly.

Then you just shake them from the box into the super?? > yes.

What is in the super to keep them from running out to their old home??? > That is a very intelligent response considering you haven't performed any cutouts. I transfer the broodcombs along with some honey and beebread combs into the hive box. A good bit of bees want to be where the brood is and when I transfer these combs there are bees that stay on the combs while performing the transfer. But yes, your insticts told you correctly, that a lot of the bees especially the foraging bees will want to go back to the old hive sight. This is where beeproofing comes into play.

I wish I could run around and watch you do these cutouts. You make it all look so easy. > Its a real challenge sometimes but lots of fun and hard work, but well worth it to save colonies!!! I will continue to post and provide pictures. I have to go and perform another one today, yes, I know its Sunday, but I'm trying to stay ahead of the game. I have procrastrinated enough. I could just play on the computer all day, but bees are waiting!!!!

Thanks for sharing. > You are quite welcome Annette. ;)

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 03:07:39 pm »
Ok, JP it is - although I do like knowing the real names, it's more personal  ;)

You can call me Jeff if you like, but not in the chat room there will be mass confusion, Jeff NWIN, Geoff from Australia, I think I'm missing another one, and me, JP.

....JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 11:06:49 am »
JP, about the vaccuum.  I am going to get my Husband to make one for me this year, I might have a swarm in a tree up high, hee, hee.

I have heard that one of the problems with the vacuum is that the vacuum box can get sticky with honey from the bees, so one must be very careful to not suck them in too hard, the vacuum must be very light with suction.  Did you ever have the honey get all over the place inside it?  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 02:03:49 pm »
JP, about the vaccuum.  I am going to get my Husband to make one for me this year, I might have a swarm in a tree up high, hee, hee.

I have heard that one of the problems with the vacuum is that the vacuum box can get sticky with honey from the bees, so one must be very careful to not suck them in too hard, the vacuum must be very light with suction.  Did you ever have the honey get all over the place inside it?  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, beautiful life.  Cindi

Cindi, I have had honey get inside but I try not to get honey inside it is bad to do this. I try and remove the honeycombs first and am careful not to have honey dripping down onto the bees. Some jobs its easier said than done. My favorite beevac is the one I got from Walter T Kelly. I bought an extra inner box cause they are smaller than my other beevac's inner boxes. So, with the Kelly one I have three inner boxes. The vac is smaller and lighter than my other one as well. Weight should def. be a consideration when building or buying a beevac. Sometimes you will need to lug it up high with you, where lighter is better. In a hurry, gotta go, hope this helps, if I left something out, let me know.

....JP

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 02:10:57 pm »
JP,
That vid was great. It is so helpful to see the real thing in real time. Inspiring to say the least. I can't wait to do our first couple this year. It doesn't seem like anyone does them out here so I am trying to get the word out. We shall see. Keep those pics and such coming. We all love them I think. Next year we will have to organize a tour. JP's traveling bee removal. I am thinking rockstar status within one year.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 12:01:42 am »
JP, good little diddy.  There was a miscommunication of my thoughts here.  When I said honey in the vacuum I was speaking about swarm catching.  They are filled with honey and that can get all over the inside of the vacuum box.  I don't think I will ever get around to doing too many cutouts or anything like that because I think that they are not so common around here.  I know people do removals, but I wouldn't anyways, too chicken and too lazy.  Have a wonderful, beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 12:48:12 am »
Cindi, I never have used the vac for swarms.

....JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 01:06:37 am »
JP I do not see the gloves on this video. Can you post a large closeup of the gloves???

Thanks
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 01:56:07 am »
Annette here's some pics of the gloves I get from H.D.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/BeeRemovalAlbum/photo#5169548294304123458

....JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 11:27:45 am »
JP, Wow!!!  Those are surely some great looking gloves......but they look like alien hands for sure.  Unbelievable, I do like them though.  Beautiful day, beautiful life.  Cindi

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 01:07:44 pm »
OK I have seen them.  They look sort of clumsy, but you say you can go through frames and not crush bees??
also, they cannot sting you through them??

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 09:13:22 pm »
For some reason the second pic makes the gloves look big and goofy but they're not. They fit nice and give excellent dexterity and the bees rarely sting through them. Check 'em out and see if you like 'em Annette.

....JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 10:39:40 pm »
I will get to Home Depot tomorrow and check this out

Thanks
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 11:03:21 pm »
I will get to Home Depot tomorrow and check this out

Thanks
Annette

Check it out! Check it out! Check it out now! Bahahahaahahaahahaa!

....JP