Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dadant grooved bottom bars - What foundation?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline John Lee Pettimore

• House Bee
Dadant grooved bottom bars - What foundation?
« on: December 12, 2009, 06:44:25 pm »
What choices of foundation do I have with Dadant's grooved bottom bar frames? I've never used them before. Plastic I'm pretty sure will work. Wired wax with or without hooks?

TIA, J.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Dadant grooved bottom bars - What foundation?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:07:32 pm »
what top bars do you have, if you have wedge top bars and grooved bottom bars and only want small amount then here, when you click on the picture it will tell you in the last sentence what it will fit

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_38&products_id=68

10 sheets of Crimp Wired Foundation developed by Dadant & Sons Inc copied but unequalled. Steel Hook fits behind the wedge in wedge top bar frames. 9 vertical crimped steel wires radiate strength, perfectly milled cells deep exact walls. We recommend adding cross wires in deep frames Foundation is 8 1/2 inches x 16 3/4 inches fits 9 1/8 frames. Approximately 7 sheets per pound. Use wedge top bar only and grooved or slotted bottom bar.

here's the choices
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_38
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Dadant grooved bottom bars - What foundation?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 07:35:23 pm »
you can also go with starter strips and let them build their own.  in that case, i would buy one bunch of foundation so that you can put one full frame in as a guide and either use wax or wood, etc. as a start for all others. 

you can research foundationless on here.  in my opinion, letting the bees build the cells that they need is the best choice.  it has some potential drawbacks, but if you do your homework, those relatively minor issues can be avoided or easily overcome.  + it saves money  ;-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.