Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB and plastic foundation  (Read 4970 times)

Offline tina

• House Bee
SHB and plastic foundation
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:03:26 pm »
I've heard that SHB can get into the plastic   does anyone have any experience or advise please

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: SHB and plastic foundation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 12:00:51 am »
SHB are tough, but not that tough.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 12:08:17 am »
What you may have heard is that on the one piece (all plastic) frames there are little nooks and crannies around the perimeter of the frames that the SHB can hide in?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:10:50 am »
By the way tina, are you in a SHB area? If you put your location in your profile it would help us in answering your questions :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 12:52:24 am »
They can certainly eat the wax that is drawn on the plastic and they will if they get going.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 01:49:39 am »
thanks for all the replies. I live in north queensland where SHB are rampant - high humidity and soft sandy soils. I'll try to update my profile.  It was the nooks and crannies of plastic one piece foundation I had heard the SHB can get into, has anyone had that happen or was it just because the person doesn't like plastic?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:05:42 am »
Yes, they can hide in the nooks and crannies, or the bees can corral them there, depending on your point of view.  Some think it's useful for them to be able to corral them.  Others think it's a disadvantage that they can "hide" where the bees can't get to them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 06:24:29 am »
I had a few down here in Melbourne.  One was so tough I couldn't grab it with gloves on - had to squish it (only got it second time I saw it).  Have installed a  Beetle trap from a guy in Sydney (Not sure if we can put names so Google 'Small Hive Beetle Trap sm').  Best few $4.50 I have spent (and he posted it to me the next day) - it hangs between the frames and you put some veg oil in it - the bees chase the beetles who run in to hide, and well ... it is a bit too oily for the beetles to get out.  I have caught a few more in the trap and haven't seen one loose on an inspection since.

I read a paper that said they must pupate in the soil and will do so within 1m of the hive, so if you can put them on tiles or concrete for a while it may reduce them a bit.  However, they can fly a long way and the lavae can crawl a long way if they have to, so it isn't a cure, but sure makes life a lot harder for them, esp if you have ants or birds around to eat them on their journey.  I have mine on a tiled surface where they will stay till the beetles are long gone.
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”
Lewis Carroll

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I have the hive on a large carpet (outside) and have ordered traps they should be here Wed. Hopefully this will knock them a bit.

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:52:44 pm »
Let us know how you get on and how many you trap.
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”
Lewis Carroll

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 08:41:00 pm »
Being a fellow QLD Beek I would recommend to you NOT to buy any of the 1 piece plastic frames.
As Scott has pointed out they are a hiding haven for the SHB.
I have found foundationless frames to be beneficial for reducing surface area and hiding places for SHB.