Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Irwin's New Computer - Congrats!!  (Read 11445 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Irwin's New Computer - Congrats!!
« on: September 16, 2009, 02:13:39 am »
Hi All:

For all of you following my post about the Samsung N120 I bought for my wife, a 10 inch, Netbook computer with full sized keyboard for super easy typing, Irwin just received the same unit except a different color and he now has a wireless network in place and has his N120 working.

I'm glad my review over the last few weeks helped him out, this is a really cool computer and the best $350 I ever spent.

If you are interested in these new small super portable laptops, seeing reviews on Youtube is a great place to start - my posts in this forum are detailed on this model, but there are many out there to choose from.

I think it is the perfect :around the house and at school or work" easy to carry and fast loading machine that will not replace your main computer YET, but it will fill the void of needing a second surfing machine with lots of features.

I ran the builtin webcam on my livestream channel for awhile today, and will post a link next time I have it running for anyone wanting to see the quality and even if you check out my beard :)

So if you are shopping for a Netbook, I give at least this one a big thumbs up and I know you will hear great things from Irwin about his soon too!

Again Irwin, Best Wishes and happy surfing from anywhere you want - mine is a movie playing monster, loaded with all the great software needed and a constant flow of the latest movies, I can't wait until shiftwork kicks in mid October - I'll squeeze in 2 movies a night - very cool indeed!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Irwin's New Computer - Congrats!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:56:57 am »
So far it's great but I need help with ventrilo.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 12:40:34 pm »
Np Problemo Amigo... I had mine up and running in less than 2 minutes, so walking you through will be a piece of cake :)

You can still use Irwin, not a problem (except) when you sign one with a computer and the other still has you signed off - the one that was logged in will close) only one same named member at a time. We can fix that in the setup, but choose to keep it simple, rarely do you need to have two connections using the same name at exactly the same time.

Before we do the install Irwin, please reread the section linked below - so that you refamiliarise yourself with the order, it will help us both and we won't miss anything.

I imagine your audeo settings will sound every it as good as these, I did need to adjust the other members audio coming in (which is very normal) so they all are eqally as strong and no one over powers the room. But all that is easy stuff and we'll get it.

I think you'll find that the N120 is a perfect Ventrilo Machine, you can take it anywhere around the house and I know in your case having it outside while you cook will be a GREAT FEATURE - even if you only listen so you don't get food on it - but a simple trick, take a piece of plastice wrap with you and cover the keyboard and then if you need to respond you can hit the hot key - or have something like a pencil (eracer side) to hold down the hot key when handling food. Either way, it saves you from running inand out so much and it gives you a real feeling of power having to not miss anything when the gang gets going!!!

Talk later, I should be on early. They never started the Big Brothr until 9pm my time last night and it ran until 11pm, noone was left on when I came back to Ventrilo. Catch you later.

Remember, read this is if will. It might get you right on, or at least help us setting you up.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,5880.0.html

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:43:44 pm »
when I try to log in to ventrilo on the N120 it say's unable to resolve host name.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 01:18:59 am »
laying on the couch and I'm ready for bed thanks to my new net book my lazy a// is going to bed :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:50:31 am »
I'm still not bought into the netbook craze yet, at least not for me or the wife.  I will be getting the Lenovo S10 for my son though, at less than $300,  I won't be so on the edge about an "accident" happening.  I'll be ditching the windoze and loading the new netbook version of Ubuntu as I'm determined he won't be a crack addict with Windose as most Americans are.

I recently looked at them for my wife, but couldn't justify the netbook when for $435 I could get a 2GHz dual core with 3G SDRAM and 15.6" TFT.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 12:25:55 pm »
Found 5 hot spots yesterday that I can use around town. I can run off mine at 150 feet and still have 3 bar's. I just love the new freedom I have now. I need to get a better carrying case for it and a external CD DVD drive so I can do more. See what you guy's and girl's have done. The lower price is what got me 349 dollar's compared to the 895 $ for the other one I was looking at but it did have a 17 inch monitor it was a big lap top. Now all I need to do is get the ventrilo going and all will be good :-D :-D :piano: :pinkelephant: X:X :yippiechick:

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 01:10:56 pm »
iRWIN, i'M HOME NOW IF YOU WANT TO GET THE vENTRILO GOING, MEET ME IN THERE ON THE BIG COMPUTER, WE'LL GET THE INFO SETUP IN THE n120.

Sorry for the caps lock - guh.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 01:38:08 pm »
I'm here and in ventrilo on my home PC

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 03:47:21 pm »
Anyone following this... we got Irwin working perfectly in Ventrilo - only took about 3 minutes :) He is now eady to BBQ and chat at the same time - being ultra portable is a wonderful thing :) !!!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 04:02:34 pm »
Going on my first charge got just about 7 hour's of time off the first one :-D John got me going on ventrilo with it. This thing is great :) :)

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 12:52:33 pm »
Not "Knocking" your netbook, we've got two, buy have you read CNets latest thoughts on Netbooks?

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=3348&tag=nl.e101

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 01:10:47 pm »
I am completely lost when it comes to computers but I am buying my college age daughter a laptop for Christmas and I have no idea what to buy.
When my oldest daughter went off to college the school had a program where if you bought a Dell they would service them on campus, as Dell had an office there and it would cost nothing to fix ever but the computer cost $1,100.00 and I cannot spend that kind of money at Christmas with all the other kids to buy for.
What you guys are talking about sounds great but again, I have no idea what netbooks are or what Robo has.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 02:10:34 pm »

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 02:38:38 pm »
Looks like you are very pleased with it, seems pretty cool.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 02:41:32 pm »
Looks like you are very pleased with it, seems pretty cool.
Very pleased with it :-D

bigbearomaha

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 05:45:47 pm »
Not "Knocking" your netbook, we've got two, buy have you read CNets latest thoughts on Netbooks?

Don't let those guys fool you.

Netbooks are more than a fad and on their way to becoming the replacement for the attache/briefcase/palm pilot combined.

They are low cost, run OS"s that are designed to work with "Cloud Computing" and are easy to carry and use in small places, (restaurant booths, plane seats, waiting room benches, etc..)

for the typical 'home user' they aren't much more than a toy.  but in the business world, they will have a huge impact.

Big Bear

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 06:25:14 pm »
also in schools.  my grandson will need a laptop for school next year and he has requested a netbook.  it's what the other kids are getting.  i'm good with that.  low cost, wireless, word processing, etc.  that's all he'll need for school.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 06:32:14 pm »
I was in Costco the other day and they had a HP notebook for $349.00 Not sure of the specs on it, but I played around with it for about 1/2hour and almost tried to convince myself to get it.  I might still get it because I take minutes for a non profit agency that meets a few times a month and I am always shlepping that heavy laptop. That's what I want it for, also surfing when I go traveling.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 06:38:13 pm »
My wife loves the two we have.  I was not, prefer a full size notebook for the screen and keyboard.  But they definitely have a place.  Have found the kids really love them for chat.  Can never find either one of them once they get in.

anything