Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A few tassie pictures  (Read 13238 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: A few tassie pictures
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 06:37:44 pm »
it sounds like you are having a wonderful time!  your pictures are great.

They wonder why the hell you would want to come to Hobart

perhaps this is what he/she was referring to.  some of us believe that hell is a literal place....portland is a literal place and probably  not much different from hell.  if it makes our more sensitive readers feel better, i would not be offended if you rewrote your sentence and substituted 'portland' for 'hell'.  double check with the other oregonians.  we wouldn't want to offend   :evil:

when do you get back??
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 06:44:06 pm »
Enjoyed the report.  Didn't enjoy the profanity.

Huh?
Am I missing something?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
You said H-E-Double Hockey Sticks.  Hardly profanity  :roll:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 12:39:40 am »
Brendhan, no worries, I don't think that word is such a bad one.  Your reporting to us all your events have been awesome.  Thanks for taking us into that part of the world.  Have a beautiful and greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 06:06:12 am »
Actually i think I have found the offensive item. A photo I took in Salemanca Market of a T shirt.
The slogan reads Mc**** (uncensored version).

The shirt hangs in the open at Salemanca Market.

They aren't as hung up on profanity as the US is.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 07:51:19 am »
Oh well, no offense taken here!

Brendhan, what is vegamite?  I've always wondered, ever since Men at Work came out with that song.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 06:23:07 pm »
I head home on Thursday.

Vegimite is like a jelly spread made of veggies. It isn't horrible. but it is an acquired taste. They usually put it on toast. They have wonderful debates on whether you should put it on thick or thin.

Apple and Pear stands are all over country. These people are trusting. Basically they are just open stands with bags of apple and pears and an honor box for payment. In the states this is refered to as free food.

The country side is gorgeous. No billboards.

Some notes on traffic laws. Parking signs say 1P or 2P or something like P5. It may even say 4P meter. Basically this means this 1P is parking one hour. 2P is two hours parking. Not be confused with P5 which means 5 minutes. The number is after the P not before it. If the word meter is on the sign that means you poy to park there for up to so many hours. If you don't pay the ticket is $25

Since there is a lack of artificial colors chocolate milk is still basically white. Chocolate milkshakes are also basically white. However they are heavy on the blender. They make their shakes pretty thin. If they ever had a Frosty from Wendy's they would think it was a food joke.

Lobster is not called lobster. It's Crawfish, which is nothing like the New Orleans delicacy that comes in a bite size snack.  Also it's Craw-Fish (kraw-fish) not (cray-fish). And they have no idea what a crawdad is.

My wife has been thrilled to notice the lack of Mosquitoes.

Today we drove up to Freycienet Park and Wineglass Bay. This is a gorgeous drive. It is rement of driving the Pacific Coast highway around Pacifica and Half Moon Bay. The roads are narrow and winding. In driving school they teach you to drive with one hand at 10:00 and one at 2:00. That is a recipe for disaster here. You have one hand at 12:00 and the other on the shifter. If you want to rent an automatic in tassie you pay extra if they even have one. If you can't drive a stick you are in a bit of hurt. They really don't have those down here.

The long and winding roads have a speeds of anywhere from 25k to 100k and feel like you are on an wild ride at the amusment park. It is great driving.

Small sidenote:
Tassie has very dry air. You must drink lots of water while you are here. Else you get dehydrated.

I mention this because my wife failed in this. And driving on this set of roads is like a carnival ride. She got car sick. There are no emergency lanes.

Warning it is not nice to snicker when wife is getting car sick.

The drive to Wineglass Bay is about 2-3 hours. I suggest for your first time you double it. There are many gorgeous bays and beaches along the way you will want to stop at. There are also wineries you will want to stop and sample a few glasses at.

So as we made our way to Freycienet Park we stop at one of the beaches and checked the area out. Saw some starfish and gorgeous shells.

When we finally reached Freycienet Park we went to a game reserve they have there. There is an abundance of huge ducks that hang out there. It is a prime hunting area. My wife thanked me in advance for getting us shot. Meanwhile it was off season. The ducks never let you get close but in a few pictures you might see a few of them. You will also learn every little island or growth in the lake is fake and used by hunters for camoufloge. They place tall grasses around a frame and hang out inside. And with the good aussie spirit most of the frames are made up of signs and posts that restrict certain activities.

Now wildlife in Tassie is a bit different. In the city you are not likely to see much. Maybe a Bitarong that has escaped from a nearby wildlife park and that is about it. However for roadkill you will see all sorts. We say dead Platapus, Wallibies, Wombats, Tasmanian Devils, and maybe a fox(debatable).  But live wildlife is tough. Now I know why most of it is nocturnal and avoids human contact for the most part.

Well I get the exception. I was driving back from the game reserve on a unsealed road(dirt road). And in the middle of the road is a huge Echinda. This is not some small cute little thing it's huge. So we follow it back to an empty stump took some photos and left it alone. My wife refered to it as the most tramatic five minutes of the Echinda's live. I refered to it as the perfect moment in my vacation.

As we drove through the Park we saw soem Wallybe. Even one with a baby in the pouch.

We finally made it to the main area of the Park. I would recommend if you ever want to go camping and hiking go here and dedicate at least 4 days. Yes you can easily spend that much time there if not more. We went simple and took the 3 hour excersion to Wineglass Bay lookout. This area is simply amazing. The path right now is not easy. It isn't handicap accesible. They are building a wimpy boring path that will be finished next month but this was much more fun. I have to admit though I was a bit discouraged by the gent who insisted on jogging up the path. Setting his watch checking his heartbeat made me feel like I was back in the states. I felt like chasing him with a pack of cigs and some twinkies yelling you forgot something. But that would mean I would have to exert myself and find a pack of cigs and twinkies.

I have to admit I was just stunned by how amazing this trip was. If this place had some heat it would be just about perfect.

More pictures:
http://www.brendhanhorne.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=117

One small note I mentioned before the lack of pennies. The one place they will get you with that is at the gas station. They always round up to the nearest nickel or dime. So remember that when you pump your petrol.

When you are lounging around in you hotel room make sure you have a bag of Tim Tam's. It a chocolate biscuit (cookie) that is just fun to munch on.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 11:03:31 pm »
Brendhan, right, excellent, it sounds like you and your Wife are really having a wonderful time.  I had to laugh about the warning to not giggle when wife is throwing up, heee, heee!  I was very sick when we went to Fiji for a trip, my husband learned not to giggle when I threw up either.  Kidding aside:

You are an excellent writer, Brendhan, and you take us right into sharing your trip with you and your wife.  Yeah, keep up those good writing skills, and tell us more, you still have a couple of days to account.  Continue with your fun, fun, fun, I wish it was warmer for you too, you baby!!!!!!  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life and safe trip back home.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 09:30:03 am »
Well here is an early entry into my adventures in Tassie.

The reason being I have to get up early for tomorrow's adventure. So I will toss this in before I go to bed.

Today's travel went to a town called Sorell. We drove through it yesterday on our way to Wineglass Bay. The town is literally the fork in the road for your travels. When the Tasman Highway reaches this town it forces you to make a left or a right. If you go left You are going toward Wineglass Bay. If you go right you are going toward Port Arthur.

Our first stop was Sorell Fruit Farm. Which is just opened for the U pick season last weekend. U pick fruit is a little different here. Yes you can get strawberries. As a matter of fact in November it is the only thing you can get.
Last weekend was opening weekend. You would have thought they had gleaned the fields that first weekend. There were lots of strawberries but finding ripe one's was the trick. We found plenty though.

The Sorell Fruit Farm however has all sorts of fruits that you can pick as they become ripe. So what the heck is a Tayberry. And the reason I want to know is the bees were working the blooms like there was an open bar. The fruits become more and more available as it gets close to January with that being the peak of picking fruit season in Tassie. Did I mention the seasons are reversed here.

So with a couple of bins of Strawberries, a very happy wife, and more road tripping to go we head out to road continual reminding myself at each intersection to look right left right not left right left. And look over shoulder if your walking. Because they come at you from behind.

We had the benefit today of a gorgeous sunny day, complete with a nice wind off the Antarctic just to remind you how close you are to the south seas. Actually it was warm today. So when we found this gorgeous shallow bay. You could easily walk out 500 meters and never get your knees wet. I believe this is only possible in low tide. I suspect high tide would probably add a meter or two.

This area would be remenescent of the Bahamas or Bermuda. The nice thing was since the water was shallow it was warm. The bad thing it has these little crabs. Now there is a great eco system here. Lots of bivalves that the crabs like to eat. The Sea Gulls eat the crabs. And when the Sea Gulls die other sea creatures help decompose them which the clams eat.  However there is one thing to upset this delicate eco system. Toes. That's right, little appendages on the end of your foot are a crab delicacy. They look at them like sausages and in Tassie everyone eats sausages. So here I am arguing with this crab over possession of my toes. I move my foot left the crab moves left, I move right the crab moves right. I move my foot forward he puts his claws up and whips out seasoning. Ok, not quite but it is very interesting to see these little crabs with bodies about the size of a quarter not running away from you. Best defense make a bird shadow and squack like a sea gull if the crab doesn't run away, it will die of laughter.

We made a stop at the Tasman Devil Conservation Park. They work at Rehabilitating Tassie Devils and finding a cure for the oral cancer that is afflicting the the Tassie Devil. Apparently this cancer is also contagious among Tassie Devils. Who apparently squabble and fight frequently. One of the reason for some much visible road kill is the lack of Tassie Devils who are basically the roadkill collectors in nature. I didn't dare suggest that oil, radiator, or brake fluid getting on the roadkill may have contributed to this issue. They may have fed me to one of these things.

Now Tassie Devils are a bit weird(like so much else down under). The Tassie Devil is a Possum (Okay actually it's a marsupial) but it has the tail of a possum and the build of one also. I don't mean a bush or ring tail possum. I am talking the American version that is the size of  house cat and on rare occasion is rumored to feign death in order to avoid being eaten. So this Tassie devil is a Possum that is oversized and has razor sharp teeth that can bite through bone.
It eats meat, not fruit, veggies, or the occasional one that tries to get into my beehives. It prefers it raw also. And when they are distressed and or threatened they are loud. They also on rare occasion when fighting spin wrestle on each other. Not like the cartoon character made famous by Bugs Bunny / Road Runner. But not to far off either.

The park is short and basically keeps on it's premises animals that can't be reintroduced to the wild. So they have some friendly roos and wallabies.They also have a goose with green on it's bill. They are not friendly and look similar to what I saw at the game reserve yesterday except these at the reserve were gray. These geese like to stand on one leg like a Flamingo with it's knees on properly. The whole park can be covered in a half hour. It is basically a nice little tourist trap they use to help raise money to help rehabilitate devils get them off highly addictive fruits and veggies and back on raw meat. Okay I joke about the fruits and veggies but they help those that are injured or orphaned and can be reintroduced.

We continued to Port Arthur. Now Port Arthur in it's day was a prison city. The prisoners were brought into Port Arthur and assigned one of a variety of tasks from quarry to boat building or something else. Port Arthur only held the men and boy prisoners the females went to the female factory which Janel and I went by on our bike down Mt. Wellington.

Basically Port Arthur was a self contained city in some ways. There is an interesting situation that came about because of Port Arthur and helped contribute to it's closing. It worked. They would rehabilitate prisoners and give them a trade. Many of them would leave Port Arthur able to read, write, and have a skill which they could use to earn a living. Sounds good right? The problem was the townsfolk were complaining about losing jobs to reformed prisoners. Who had a trade when they came out of prison. So what happened was they enacted a parole system and basically closed down Port Arthur.

Now my wife has basically consolidated the history of Tasmania to these bullet points.

Blah Blah Blah Van Deimen's Land Blah Blah Blah Built by convict labor in the 1800's Blah Blah Blah Destroyed by fire Blah Blah Blah.

Now that is a bit oversimplified but I love it when she let's her sarcastic side out.

Some notes on the ocean water. it is usually a bit choppy or very deep which contributes to the lack of clarity you might expect when you visit. This isn't the Bahamas. However on a nice day the water will rival anything the Bahamas has to offer. The problem is it only lasts a short time. Tasmania is surrounded by the South Sea which is a vicious section of water. Calm and serene it is not. Now imagine being some 15 year old convict stuck below deck in irons with cold antarctic water seeping in and rough seas. Maybe next time you won't steal that coat just because your freezing to death in the middle of winter in the cesspool that was London at the time.

More pictures:
http://www.brendhanhorne.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=118

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 09:38:47 am »
Brendhan, beautiful, your stories take me right there with you and Jarnel, be reminded of your excellent writing skills, that is not a commonplace talent, yeah!!!  Have a wonderful rest of your trip, I am looking forward to your next account.  Also, have a wonderful day, safe trip home.  Cindi

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2007, 06:51:38 am »
Well the adventure in Tassie is coming to an end.
I head home in the morning. I could easily stay hear another 2 months and have a
different adventure everyday. Even if I went back to some of the places I have
already been.

Some notes on being a husband. Your job is that of scapegoat. It's your fault no
matter what. Even if you are right. Truth and justice have no place in a
marriage. You can be right or you can be married.

Yes, for men this is a huge blow to our ego. it is tough for us as creatures of
logic to accept this. If you want to stay married swallow your pride and
remember the wisest saying of all. "And this to shall pass."

Why mention this when describing my trip to Tassie. It is prep for what is
coming. I have learned I can break the Internet even if I am nowhere near the
computer. The car battery dies because I did or did not do anything to the car.
I could even be the sole responsibility for global warming. But I am still
married and that is what matters. (Yes, there is some sarcasm in there)

We turned in the rental car yesterday with no damage and a full tank of gas.

Our last trip is a boat trip around adventure bay in Bruny Island. I save the
best for last. Now you have to meet the bus that takes you to Bruny Island at
the Visitor Center at 7:50 am. Since we no longer have the car we will walk over.
It's not far and we have walked it before. But the walk is about 15 minutes.

Now my wife is wonderfully organized. She sets aside the money for each event
separately. It at times seems almost anal..... Okay it is, but I just had a trip
to Tassie without going into debt. So she can manage the money whatever way she
wants.

Now we get up initially at 5:30 because the lorikeets are awake and my wife
wakes up and is convinced we have overslept. I look at the clock and mourn the
half hour of sleep I was still due and will never get.

But at 6am we are up and getting ready. Shower, dress, breakfast, and all the
usual morning routine to get ourselves ready to go to the location. It is a
a quarter past seven, right on time. I ask is everything ready and we go.

Now we get to the bus station and meet with the tour captain and get signed in.
I then ask my wonderful wife whom I love very much and is not allowed to kill
me. If she has brought the money for the trip which is getting ready to leave.

In the movies this part is refereed to as dead silence.

My wife has left the money on the counter in the hotel room. Now I don't freak
out. I still have my credit card and all she has to do is pay back the credit
card when we get home(see this is why I could never be a complete simple living
type, credit cards are useful on occasion). Now I mentioned I didn't freak out.
My wife has. And it's my fault.

Yup, your faithful poster is 100% completely responsible for all ills in the
world, strike that the universe. Why is this my fault? I rushed her. Yes, the
hour plus we had to get ready this morning wasn't enough. Also I did not
explicitly go though each detail before we left this morning. I should not have
asked "Are you ready?" I should have asked if each piece of clothes was on in a
satisfactory manner, if the teeth were brushed properly, was the morning
consumables adequately digested, and did she remember to secure the funding for
the event.

So I am now getting the silent but not subtle wrath of my wife for again failing
to perform adequately as a husband , excuse me as a human being.

My comment on not having to worry because we have an adequate solution will not
remove the icey cold stares at my tender soul. Even though my solution is
satisfactory it was not the original plan. And after market plans are evil that
do nothing more than support the terrorist, contribute to global warming, and
equate to taking candy from babies.

Men who have been married for a while understand they must endure these moments
of anguish for the few moments of bliss that come between them.

And this bad mood will pass too.

So off we go toward Bruny Island. I will endure the tortures of the Spanish
Inquisition for the first part of the ride over. But I know she will be in a
better mood when the boat ride begins.

The Tassie spirit is that the adventure isn't in the finish but in getting
there. And our ride over was wonderful. We had two Tassie guides who promised to
tell us everything about Tasmania and if they didn't know it, they would make it
up. Sarcasm is an art in Tasmania used liberally and without political
correctness. It was wonderful to be among people who just aren't concerned about
minor details. My Irish background stood out like sore thumb and everyone had
fun with me. It was great. It is funny that I didn't stand out as an American
but as an Irish man.

The Bruny Island is a small island off the southern coast of Tasmania. It has a
population of about 600 many of whom work for the charter or use the island as
home for their fishing job.

The north section of the island has some very nice woodlands and sheep farms.
The south section borders the south seas and is a national park. And is battered
by the weather from the south seas. The further south you go the fewer trees you
will see. More shrubs and mosses in the southern area. But for me that was not
the best part. The incredible rock formations. They are magnificent. When you
view the photos and you realize that your faithful poster has taken over a
hundred pictures of rocks be kind. I realize you cannot go ooh and ahh over each
picture. They will never reflect the details and beauty in them and after the
first twenty or so you will probably get bored. I understand.

The water is clear but very deep so you will not always see the bottom but
watching a sea lion swim under your boat is incredible. If the whales come by it
is a religious experience. The Cromerants use the rock faces as nesting grounds.
The sea lions use them as a way station for those not worthy of a harem on the
beach. Note for the sensitive of smell. Sea lions in zoo smell like rose petals
compared to what you will smell when the wind  that smell under your nose.
And it is never appropriate of your wife to comment and ask "What have you been
eating?" She could end up as fish food. But you will still love her.

The rocks, wildlife, and swells and 3 outboard mercury engines make this an E
ticket ride. If you get motion sickness you may want to take something before
you get on the boat. However it is worth it. Even if you turn so green you match
the sea. Well at least it was to me, but I didn't get sick. My twinkle in my eye
of six years did great until we started pulling thirty knots and 8 foot swells
on the ride back following some albatross. Then she just sat there and tapped
her heel on the floor like a low powered chipping hammer. I mentioned we could
go back and smell the sea lions. Yes, revenge is best served cold but since I
can be responsible for all the ills of the universe, I can at least take the
blame for the waste matter of natural sea lions.

The boat ride is 3 hours but you would never notice it unless you are turning
green in which case it may seem like three years. But hey, I was feeling fine.
And no they are not going to cater the boat ride for the squeamish. Simply
because the seas didn't get the note from PC police. When the ride was over I
felt amazed. It was simply an incredible event.

On the ride back they stopped at a lookout point. You have 239 steps to climb to
reach the top. And everyone one of them my wonderful soul mate would mention
that she lives in Florida because it is flat. And that you don't have to do this
in Florida. Now for some reason the tour captain mention there were 238 steps to
the top. Someone on our party counted them and came up with 239. Without
missing a beat out captain said "Well there were 238 last week." The whole group
laughed.

We stopped at an oyster shack also on the way back to the ferry. You get a dozen
shucked oysters for $10. They don't have cocktail, Tabasco, or any other spicy
sauce as I mentioned before. However these oysters are so good you eat them
plain. Mine didn't last the length of the driveway. I offered the empty shells
to our captain as gratitude for our wonderful adventure. Leave it to the Irish
to offer the scraps as a gift. I thought I was going hurt myself laughing so
hard. An Aussie accent makes it seem so much funnier than my nasty type.

It was a fabulous time.

Now I have to get packed remind my better half to bring the tickets because if
we get stuck here it would be my fault. Yet I am can't find the negative in
getting stuck in Tassie.

27 hours in flying sardine can now that is a test of fortitude.

More pictures with lots of rocks:
http://www.brendhanhorne.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=119

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Toholio

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2007, 07:29:11 am »
Vegimite is like a jelly spread made of veggies.
Actually it's concentrated yeast extract and two kinds of salt. There're some other things in it but think semi-solid salty black gunk and you'll get the idea. Delicious.

It isn't horrible. but it is an acquired taste. They usually put it on toast. They have wonderful debates on whether you should put it on thick or thin.

For some reason people often put a smear on a dummy (pacifier) for babies. It's probably why we all grow up thinking it tastes fine.

Quote from: Understudy
Did I mention the seasons are reversed here.
You may have...  :-P

The reversed seasons thing drives me nuts some of the time. It's very frustrating reading beekeeping and gardening books which tell you to do things at exactly the wrong time of year. On the upside, even though I'm living in the southern part of the Australian mainland, it never gets so cold here that the bees wont be active at least a few days a week. Add in with this the number of gums which flower in winter and the many nectar heavy native plants which flower almost continuously and things don't look too bad going into winter.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2007, 08:08:43 am »
Toholio, Vegamite sounds like something I'd really like - salty!  Hum!  ;)

Could you edit your profile and put in your location?  That way you won't be hopelessly lost.

Oh, and welcome!

Brendhan, your descriptions of your travels are wonderful - as well as your descriptions of being a husband from the husband's point of view.  You are still her knight in shining armor, the armor just needs polishing every once in awhile  ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2007, 11:01:43 am »
Oh Brendan.  You make me laugh my guts out!!!!  I read and laughed, read and laughed, and thought, hmmmm.....that sounds like just how my Husband feels too.

His name is Someone.  And Someone always gets blamed for something that Someone has done!!!!  He has known that one for years, hee, hee.

How could you know that everything in the world is your fault?  Now you know that one for sure.  About the money that your wife forgot to bring.  Of course that was your fault, you didn't ask her if she had everything under control.   Heee, heee.

Men do have the oddest roles in this life of the woman, now don't they.

Kidding aside.  You have created the most beautiful reading in the morning, the accounting of your travels on your vacation.  Thank you for taking the time and you have probably made many of us laugh our guts out, what more better way to start a day. Have a wonderful and beautiful day, safe trip home.  Cindi

anything