Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: This was waiting in my inbox this morning.  (Read 3336 times)

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
This was waiting in my inbox this morning.
« on: May 13, 2012, 01:24:58 pm »
Hi,
I found you on the internet, seeking recommendations you might have to assist me in getting rid of honey bees in my basement. I live in Stockbridge.
About 2 weeks ago, I was mowing the lawn and saw "bees" entering on the back side of the house, concrete wall, 2 holes. I sprayed hornet/wasp killing stuff on the area. Two days later, I went into my basement, and their were a huge amount of these bees on the basement window, with a lot dead on the sill and workbench.
My neighbor came over and said they were honey bees. He went to XXX XXXXX Blvd, down the end of my street, where a bee keeper lives. He came to my house, with my neighbor, and said they were his bees, stating they were Italian Honey Bees.He believed about 10,000 were already dead as he swept them up. I don't know if the queen is still active or not. He was to come back the next day to smoke them out, never came.
I then called, A.C.E. LLC who came out, put some killing chemical in the walls etc. They have been dying, but, they came out again, this week on Monday, did another treatment in the walls and caulked the outside holes. Tonight, Thursday, I went down stairs and their is a few buzzing on the window again. A.C.E. LLC is coming back again on Monday. They are behind the drywall,  that is in front of the concrete wall, 4" space.
Do I need to remove the drywall? Do you think a cone is behind the wall? I have paid $300.00 already and they are going to charge me additional $250.00 to just remove the shelf and 2 sheets of drywall. This is beginning to get costly. ACE LLC guy has been out 3 times already. I need this resolve. I am a widow and don't know much about this problem. I have lived in my house 13 years and this is the first time this has ever occurred.
Also, I am the second house in my neighborhood that this company has been at for these bees and the bee keeper has done nothing about. Any suggestions? 
I appreciate your feedback.

Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: This was waiting in my inbox this morning.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:16:31 pm »
The beekeeper may need to put a few swarm traps and quit telling people that those are his bees.    He should have trapped them out for the lady when he found out about them.   

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:56:51 pm »
AllenF, I will get in touch with him and offer my help. The very last thing he should be doing is claiming ownership as he just put himself in a very sticky situation. I, like all beeks should, try to keep mine from swarming but once they cross the property line I don't know them from Adam's housecat.
Bees swarm, that's a fact of life, and without positive verification such as keeping them in sight from hive to house or microchip there is no way I or any other beek can make that sort of claim.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:09:51 pm »
probably would have cost her less to have had someone remove the hive.  doesn't sound like they'd been in there long.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 04:14:45 pm »
I have this posted in another forum where I try to guide others away from chemical control and into a more proper method of removal. I am proud to say that i am getting many to take me up on it and there are many new beekeepers in the ranks.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3157591/Why_not_to_do_honeybee_removal.html#Post3157591

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:26:10 pm »
Kathy, she would have paid more with my basic fee BUT she would have had it resolved the right way and in one trip.
This company has raised it's fees as a direct result of me offering live removal. Back in the bad old days their fee was 145 to treat and remove, and had they done it the way I taught them, with one trip. Since I have been offering live removal with my fees in line with Bill Owens and other in the area I have seen an increase in fees among the chemical crowd.
Of course this is purely to grab the clients that react badly when I quote my rates. As one of my mentors used to say, "You can't fix stupid". The sad thing is that this all to common within my industry as those of us who try to do it the right way in everything from bat exclusion to bee removal charge according to the extra effort we make all the while the less scrupulous and unskilled are picking off the clients who fail to take the time the differentiate between quality and cost.
I could curl your hair with the things I have seen over the years from dead and dying animals throughout homes, damage to homes and structures, misuse and dangerous levels of registered pesticides, and outright larceny. It's really appalling but I do what I can.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:23:38 am »
Surprised she found an exterminator that would even attempt it.  Most won't touch honeybees because of the backlash for killing them that and unless they can spray straight into the brood nest they will be back in full swing in about a month.  Heck like Kathy said it would have been cheaper to just have called the beekeeper out to start with and done a cutout.  Just cutting through drywall to get to the bees job could have been done for 100 to 200 just depending on how long they have been there. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 11:02:05 am »
Surprised she found an exterminator that would even attempt it.

That's the rub, she didn't. To the best of my knowledge none of the PCOs (pest control operators aka exterminators) in this area will touch honeybees. ACE is a NWCO (nuisance wildlife control operator) company. They are also PCO licensed as well.
That company relies on referrals from PCOs but fails to inform the PCOs that they are also PCO licensed and that a referral to them is the very thing they won't do.
Pretty sick. I tried for five years (I was the senior state manage to get ACE to change it's ways but was stymied at every step by the owners whose policy was revenue trumps ethics. The only reason I stayed as long as I did is because I was their cash cow generating close to 200k annually. I was their only beek as well and now without me they are back to poisoning everything on sight.

anything