Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive bodies mad e from press board???  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
Hive bodies mad e from press board???
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:42:17 pm »
I have an opportunity to buy some cost effective (AKA relatively cheap) hive equipment, but I believe it is made out of press board material, not solid wood.  This does not sound good to me from a possible chemical (out gassing) stand point.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about using press board for hive material?

Any thoughts/opinions welcome...

John

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Hive bodies mad e from press board???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 04:49:49 pm »
Whether or not I'd worry about off-gassing would depend on how old they are.  I'd find out more specifically what they are made from.  There is a big difference between things like advantec, OSB(chipboard),and Particle board which is what I usually think of when someone says press board(either that or MDF).  Neither MDF or Particle board can take any amount of moisture and even OSB breaks down pretty quickly.  Advantec or something equivalent would be the only one I would think would last and that stuff ain't cheap.  It's also VERY heavy.  So I guess it comes down to your situation.  Are they all you can afford, if so maybe they'll be ok long enough for you to build or pick up some better used equipment.  Otherwise I wouldn't bother with them.
FH
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:45:56 pm »
I use OSB in some of my woodenware, but none that is directly exposed to the elements.  As mentioned the lifetime of these products is limited.  IMHO.

David

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:05:22 pm »
I use scrap Advantec for hive parts all the time. I haven't made a hive body yet but it makes good bottom boards and hive tops. It is heavy but it is good stuff and I make good use of all scrap. It will last a long time with a good coat of paint. MDF and particle board will not take any moisture.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 09:54:52 pm »
I've used it.  It doesn't age well, but if it's free, I consider it a good deal.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything