Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees at a removal site 5 days later  (Read 2845 times)

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
Bees at a removal site 5 days later
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:14:44 pm »
Is it normal to have 30-40 bees still hovering at the site 5 days post removal?!

A couple of my recent removals are still haunted by a few bees...these were each hives that contained a lot of honey, and though we worked to wash the honey from the crevices, I know some of it remained. I just can't figure out if the smell of honey and comb and bees and etc keeps attracting more bees or if I missed something in the removal.

We stuffed the cavities with fiberglass insulation, and the old entrance has been sealed. A contractor will replace the siding tomorrow. But last night there were still bees...the removal was last Wednesday.

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bees at a removal site 5 days later
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:41 pm »
i had that happen twice year before last.  one was a swarm and one a removal.  the swarm had started building wax on the tree limb and the removal?

now i am using a little bee quick when i am done to discourage them from hanging around.  i don't know why most clear in a day and some hang around for days...unless they are not from the same hive?  maybe scouts drawn to the smell of a former hive.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:45:48 pm »
I used Bee Quick, kathyp...I guess I just worry that I missed something in the removal and that they'll start rebuilding all over again. Tell me they won't. :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:21:39 pm »
I use bee quick, and if possible, leave the hive on premise until dark. Then go back if needed, with a can of raid the next day. Usually no more than 50 or so, and although I hate killing them, it is better than a kid or home owner getting stung.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:41:35 pm »
the raid was my suggestion to the cutout people.  it was to far to go back and they were fine with spraying the bees.  wasn't more than a golf ball size group of them, but they just wouldn't leave.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:09:07 pm »
Thanks, iddee...you make me feel better. I've always left the hive until dark or until early the following morning. The contractor who does the repairs used Raid to eliminate those left behind so he could complete his work without fighting the bees.

Just glad to know it's a rather common occurrence.

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 11:03:18 am »
I swear some foragers don't return at night, either that or the teenage girls are doing sleep over slumber parties somewhere else and come scraggling back home about lunch time the next day.

I'd like to come up with a little Dust Devil type beevac for those last 50 bees a day later, I've seen a few times were they stayed around for weeks.

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:20:36 pm »
I always explain that no matter what we do or how long we wait, there will always be stragglers.
I tell them, that they usually dissipate within a few days.

Just so they are aware that these are insects and can be unpredictable.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:16:46 am by jhs494 »
Joe S.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:14 am »
I had the same thing and when I removed the extracted and boxed hive the next morning after a cut out.  I sprayed Bee-Quick in the cavity to entice them to stay away when I was done with the cut out in the afternoon.  The next morning I sprinkled a little seven dust in there to finish of the stragglers and to keep any swarms from reoccupying the cavity before repairs are made.  I don't like doing it but customers don't like stragglers buzzing around while they're trying to make repairs on a ladder.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...