Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 5 Frame Nucs as Production Hives  (Read 8006 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
5 Frame Nucs as Production Hives
« on: May 03, 2011, 12:31:10 pm »
I made up two 5 frame nucs from a boomer hive I had the first week in April. They are both doing great and I have since added another 5 frame hive body on top that they are filling out quite nicely.

Does anyone use 5 framers as production colonies? Im thinking that they would probably do quite well as cut comb producers.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: 5 Frame Nucs as Production Hives
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:24:24 pm »
5 frame nuc is not a hive and 2 kg honey is not production.
It takes 3 months that 5 frame nuc is capable to make surplus honey.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 03:30:30 pm »
My wording is wrong Im sure. It would actually be a 10 frame hive using 5 frame boxes if that makes any difference.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 04:43:20 pm »
Depends on your area i use a single deep for my brood.  I would think the easy thing would be to take them out of the nucs and situate them in a deep though.  Just my 2 cents worth though.  Really don't know how your flows are down that way if you have periods where nothing is blooming sometimes a deep will produce more honey then a double deep less bees to feed when the necter isn't flowing.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:37:54 pm »
http://fatbeeman.com/  uses 5 frames.  But he raises bees, not honey. http://www.youtube.com/user/FatBeeMan  Check his videos.

Offline okbees

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:39:40 pm »
I would think that any number of frames can make a hive.  And you are correct in your thinking that this process could work for cut comb honey.  Do a search on You Tube for     The "FatBeeMan" on Nucs and Baby Nucs     He uses NUCs for Ross Rounds.  Good luck and enjoy.
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
Frank Outlaw

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:54:31 pm »
Thankye

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 12:23:04 am »
Bees need more space when the colony grows. 5+5+? will not help in expanding the growth.   Luck will not be on your side. Bees will swarm and escape.

45 years ago I had a German Black colony. It never had 5 frame because on fouth frame it swarmed. I kept it  2 year years. A memorable colony!

When I joined swarms to get productive hives, I noticed that 20 occupied frames is minimun. Otherwise that summer runs away.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 04:25:42 pm »
A 2 story 5 frame nuc, especially if it is a deep, is an excellent way to over winter a late summer split or swarm.  I've successfully overwintered late splits in a 2 story medium nuc a number of times.  when overwintering nucs it is a good idea to place them side by side as tightly as possible to aid insulation and heat retention. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 01:23:08 am »
5-frame winter nuc is a norman way to nurse bees. It is not exellent. I prefer 20 frame wintering.

Question was, has anyone tried to get honey with 5 frame hive?
I would say that it is impossible with modern bee strains which need 5 BOX to get honey.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:31:52 pm by Finski »

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 08:41:39 am »
Finski beekeeping varies from county to county state to state and so on.  I don't know about getting honey off a 5 frame nuc but you can most definately get good production off a single deep.  Like i say just depends on where you are in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 05:29:27 pm »
Finski beekeeping varies from county to county state to state and so on.  I don't know about getting honey off a 5 frame nuc but you can most definately get good production off a single deep.  Like i say just depends on where you are in the grand scheme of things.

good production from mere single deep? You are gidding. After my 48 y beekeeping years I have again something to learn. :shock:

a queen lays a single deep full in a week. What then?

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 07:54:18 pm »
Not here oddly enough if i run 2 deeps i will end up with nothing but bees.  No honey or anything the way things bloom and all i just end up raising bees.  I leave a shallow or medium super on in the winter to help them through.  I can move 2 hours east and have to run double deeps though.  Just the way beekeeping is it's not the same even within a hundred miles.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 12:16:58 am »
I thought  that we discussed about the title issue

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 01:12:53 am »
I thought  that we discussed about the title issue

No i was just trying to explain why i use a single deep for brood.  It doesn't work everywhere by any means and for most places double deeps are most definately the way to go. 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 01:48:27 am »
Plenty of professional beekeepers use single brood  box in Finland. They do not want that hives are too high and big to handle. Like they say, beehives means to them a harsh work.

However a good yield comes from good pastures and the hive means only a capacity of foraging,  when i put my hives on good pastures, bees need lots of space to spread the nectar. Bees bring on best days 8 kg more weight. In two days medium box will be full.

If there is not enogh free space, bees stop working. Yield period is here very short, 1-1,5 months.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 02:27:46 am »
Yeah know what your saying now i put several supers on for honey production though 3 to 4 of drawn comb.  I can't see bees in a single deep surviving in Finland.  If they do then i must tip my hat cause they are way better beekeepers then i.

anything