Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dadants everywhere you go!!  (Read 2715 times)

Offline bristopen

• New Bee
Dadants everywhere you go!!
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:36:39 pm »

From what I read about beekeeping I know that Langstroths are the universal type of beehives, not only in the US but around the world. There's a god reason for that, they might be the best. But in my country, Algeria, everybody's using Dadants!

For that season I'm gonna be obliged to use Dadants to begin with.

My question is: Do you think I should struggle to get Langstroths in the future or do you think Dadants would be just fine?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Dadants everywhere you go!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:53 pm »
Get whatever you have available there.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 11:59:38 pm »
The disagreement between Langstroth and Dadant was that Langstroth believed 10 deep (9 1/4") frames was enough for a brood chamber.  Dadant believed that you needed 12- 11 1/4" frames to have enough room for a queen.  It's sort of like the Beta Max/VHS issue.  Dadant was right, but Langstroth caught on.  So to make up the difference, Northern beekeepers mostly use two deeps to have enough room for the queen.  They idea had always been that you don't lift a brood box, and you only have one, but that's not how it worked out.  I run all eight frame medium boxes (eight 6 1/4" frames). and the queen has four or five of them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:25:22 am »

From what I read about beekeeping I know that Langstroths are the universal type of beehives, not only in the US but around the world. There's a god reason for that, they might be the best. But in my country, Algeria, everybody's using Dadants!

For that season I'm gonna be obliged to use Dadants to begin with.

My question is: Do you think I should struggle to get Langstroths in the future or do you think Dadants would be just fine?

I keep bees in Al-Huwariyah, Tunisia (1983 to 1985) It that time all the new hives are Langstroths 10  frames. At that time I did not see an Dadant Hives.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:30:11 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:46:18 am »
Do you have Apis mellifera mellifera (Tellian)  :?

This is the bee in Tunisia

http://www.pedigreeapis.org/biblio/artcl/baldensp24en.html

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline bristopen

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 02:22:46 am »
Hey Jim!

Thanks for the article, I've already printed it! I don't know a thing about races!

I went yesterday to a small state beekeeping company to see what they have for sale.

Well, they don't have too much stuff there. I've seen a couple of Warré Hives just on display, a  hive and a nucleus. Now, I have been told by a friend of mine that they were Dadants. But in fact, after taking the dimensions, they were to my delight Langstroths!

But they were  Full Depth Langstroths with ten frames both the brood boxes and the supers! Can you imagine, full depth supers!? That's all what they have! Even the nuclei are full depth 9.44 inches!

I told my self, don't panic you can have your own 3/4s and shallows in a woodworker's shop! But all the extractors I've seen there are made for Full Depth frames!

It's just incredible!

In my country, beekeeping hasn't done too much evolution like in Tunisia for example. That company I told you about belongs to the state and what they have for sale is the best I could find.

But I'll keep digging maybe I'll find better. At least I can have a brood box with bees!

Ciao.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:36:10 pm by bristopen »