Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are they doing....more like NOT doing???  (Read 2941 times)

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
What are they doing....more like NOT doing???
« on: July 31, 2007, 08:15:59 pm »
I did a trapout about 3 months ago that resulted in a small hive of about 3 frames of bees. They proceeded to raise a queen from the eggs I gave them during the trapout. She was mated successfully and started to lay a nice pattern of eggs. I then determined I was safe to give them to a man at my work that I had promised them to. So about 6 weeks ago I gave them to him and told him I would be over in a couple of weeks to check out their progress. I told him to FEED,FEED,FEED!!! So I went over to his house 2 weeks ago and checked on them. I was expecting to see them with at least 6 or 7 frames of bees. All they had done was drawn out 3 frames and had about 4 frames of bees. I was not happy. I told him to keep feeding and he said they were only taking a quart of sugar water every 5 or 6 days. What gives??? They still have 5 frames of foundation that they haven't even touched. Do I need to switch up the frames to make them work?? Maybe move the brood in the middle and stagger the honey frames??? I really would like them to take off before the winter arrives. They are in a deep for the brood box. Please help. I don't post much but I read you guys ALL the time. I love what you guys are doing on here. It helps us newbees out SOOO much. Thank for all your insight.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: What are they doing....more like NOT doing???
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:27:30 pm »
They may just not have enough bees yet to grow as fast as you would like.  I always say on small colonies to keep the  brood nest intact and together bring in a frame at a time for them to draw out and use.  are all the holes on the jar lid open?  I like 12 to 14 holes around the lid for them to get plenty of syrup. I also feed them 1:1 sugar water to get them to draw foundation and the feeding does'nt stop utill they get it all drawn out.  What type of frames and foundation are you using?  They like wood frames with wax foundation over plastic.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:32:52 pm »
I(he is) am using 1:1. Wood frames with wired wax foundation. The jars he is using are the same ones I am using. Mine have the 12 to 14 holes in them. So I should move in one undrawn frame to see what they will do??? I feel like they are comfortable with what they have and are being lazy. I want them to work,work, WORK!!!!! :evil:

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 08:38:48 pm »
Yep keep them working is what i say too.  Move a undrawn frame in between the honey/pollen frame and the first brood frame. As it gets bigger you can move a frame into the brood nest one more frame over.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:30:10 pm »
Some hives build like gangbusters, some slowly. You may try suggesteing your friend try honeybee healthy for a jump start and perhaps feeding them pollen patties.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 09:35:38 pm »
They have plenty of pollen stores. I will try the frame switch and see how things go. The queen is laying in a nice pattern and all seems well enough for them to get going. But they know what they are doing. They just don't know what I want them to be doing. I must learn to communicate with them. You guys are starting to rub off on me.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 10:43:46 pm »
The bees do what they want to do. Not what you want them to do. Be careful because they may go either way. Kee an eye out for wax moths. They like weak hives.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 07:30:27 am »
If a hive is stagnating and small, I try to limit the space they have and this often turns them around quickly.  They have less comb to guard and take care of and less bees needed to keep the brood warm which frees up foragers to do more work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 09:45:40 pm »
Micheal, please explain to me how I would "limit their space". Entrance reducers???

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 09:53:52 am »
"I told him to keep feeding and he said they were only taking a quart of sugar water every 5 or 6 days. What gives??? "

Maybe his sugar/water ratio is on the thin side..  but the number of bee's def. a big part.  You could always bring him over a capped frame of brood w/ nurse bee's to bump up the numbers.. and get things going faster.  It's so dry here  my apairy is sucking down 5 gallons a day easily. 

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 07:02:14 pm »
I think Michael is talking about setting up a follower board.  This is a board cut to the demensions of the inside of your brood box and used as a temporary wall to minumize brood space.  This with an entrance reducer helps them protect the brood and start expanding their numbers with minimal impact from pests and intruders. 

I used this successfully this spring and the hive is doing great now.  I also used 1:1 syrup with HBH (homemade) and small protien patty for only a couple days (reduced attraction for SHB's). 

Hope this helps.

Or move them to a nuc box if you have one.  But this is what a follower board does on a temporary basis.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 07:11:52 pm »
I get it. Thanks for all the help. I am going to see the hive next week. I will evaluate then what course of action to take.