Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding Packages  (Read 2881 times)

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
Feeding Packages
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:12:33 pm »
I'm traveling a fair amount in April and want to ensure my syrup feeders can hold enough syrup to let the ladies draw out comb for at least a week.  Plan to use Honey-B-Healthy to prevent the syrup from going bad over this extended period of time but are not sure how much volume they will consume in a week.  I'm starting both packages (3 pound, Italians) and nucs (OWCs) this spring and would appreciate your advice.

Thank you,

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Feeding Packages
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:39:39 pm »
If they are in the mood they can consume a quart jar in a little over 24 hours.
Your results may vary.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:39:47 pm »
I installed two packages last April and for the first 6-8 weeks, the girls were downing a glass gallon jar of 1:1 syrup in about 2 1/2 days.  I lost track of how much sugar I had to buy but they built up some really impressive numbers of bees!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:02:41 pm »
Sounds like I better plan on up to 3 gallons then. 

Wow, that's a lot of syrup.  Not sure that many quart jars will fit within 1 box.

Best put together a "plan B" just incase.

Thank you for your responses. 

SH

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:24:26 pm »
4 one gallon jars will fit in a deep hive body.

A favorite way to transport moonshine a few years back.  :evil:

Never did see anyone get caught.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:08:09 am »
4 one gallon jars will fit in a deep hive body.

a favorite way to transport moonshine a few years back.  :evil:

Never did see anyone get caught.

So will 4 gallon paint cans, never used, from your local hardware store. Place lid top down and use 4d nail to make holes.  The holes should still have the pyramid shape of the nail point.  Tap, don't wallop.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:30:13 am »
I'm with iddee.   Glass gallon pickle jars, free from your local deli,  are my favorite feeders.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/feeder-compare/

a favorite way to transport moonshine a few years back.  evil

Don't give them ideas :-P   Next they will be transporting cocaine in hives using the newspaper method :evil:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 02:56:47 pm »
I like the glass jars because they can be put into the dishwasher if need be to clean them up after use.  Also, you can see if there is any mold and how much syrup the girls are using.  Can't with a paint can!

Brian and Iddee, I assume that you are not using an inner cover when putting four one-gallon jars on your hives?  I built a special inner cover with a four-inch hole in each corner, covered with some #8 hardware cloth.  Works like a charm if you need to throw a lot of feed to a new package or swarm.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:08:27 pm »
You can feed with multiple glass jars on an inner cover by just putting two 3/8" shims under each jar.  Bees can come up thru the inner cover hole(s) and get under all the jars. It can be kind of a tight fit depending on how much of a lip is on your inner covers.  Worse case you may have to add an empty medium on top of the empty deep.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 05:20:10 pm »
dishwasher

ok, now i feel really stupid for scrubbing them in the sink with a bottle brush   :?

last packages i did when through 1/2 gallon jars every 2 days. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 06:53:03 pm »
I read somewhere (I think George Imirie's Pink Pages) that if you want to feed some bees a lot of syrup that you can place 2 or 3 or 4 gallon jars of syrup right on top of the frames and forget the innercover until they get up to speed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 07:18:12 pm »
Two Bees, if you do that, they will totally encompass the jars with honey and comb, suspended from the lid above.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 09:04:57 pm »
I believe the intent is to leave the jars in the hive no more than a couple of days.  Never tried this myself because I don't think putting that kind of weight directly on the top of the frames is a good thing.

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 01:24:40 am »
This has been great feedback everyone, thank you.

Off to the Deli tomorrow  :-D

SH

anything