Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do I re-install a plastic hive entrance feeder after refilling  (Read 2126 times)

Offline emarketwiz

• New Bee
The guy I got my nuc from yesterday said I should feed sugar water for a week.  I bought the small plastic entrance feeders from Brushy Mountain, filled them with sugar water and installed them early this morning (no bees around the hive).  They were not completely filled and the bees ate all of the sugar water today.  I went to the hives and refilled them earlier this evening but there were so many bees around the entrance board that it took awhile to get the feeder back in without killing any bees.  Is there a methodology for this that I am not aware of?  Thanks for your help! 
Ken Poindexter
SLIGHTLY "BEE"MUSED

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: How do I re-install a plastic hive entrance feeder after refilling
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:43:56 am »
Just take your time...you could try blowing a puff of smoke at them or refill at night when they're inside.
 A lot of people might suggest going with a different method of feeding them. Having the feeder right at the entrance promotes other bees coming in and robbing.
Keep an eye on your hive and if you see bees fighting, try a different feeder.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Re: How do I re-install a plastic hive entrance feeder after refilling
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 02:39:58 pm »
Bees will be less active at dusk.  Whenever I mess with my entrance or add a cover under my SBB on a really cold night, I wait until dusk.  That's when I cut the grass close around it too.

8-)

anything