Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Source  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Swarm Source
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:25:09 pm »
I have a friend with a commercial farm.  some of their biggest fields are berries.  They use bees to pollinate the berries.  every year, they have 4 or 5 swarms that get in their way.  to this point, the beekeeper has not been interested in catching those swarms.  he's just to busy, and a couple of swarms are not worth his time.  if the bees get into the irrigation pipes, or other places where the farmers need to work, they are often destroyed. 

i have volunteered :-) to come catch those swarms.  i asked them to double check with the beekeeper to make sure he does not want them this year.  if he does not, this may be a good source of bees for me.

thought i'd pass this idea on.  it never hurts to look around and see if you might find the same deal in your area.  save the bees...save the world....and save some money!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Swarm Source
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 05:31:09 pm »
Free Bees, brilliant. :)

Let's see package bees are around $65 plus S&H.
Having to wait until April to get them.
Then having to worry about all the diseases with the package bees.

Swarms want a good home.
Ask if you can set up swarm traps. Swarm traps are about $20 plus S&H
You can get them before April.
They want to build comb and numbers.

If they don't go into a swarm trap and go into a wall , you get to use power tools and put big holes in the wall. This is always fun.

The only bummer is making sure you have enough hives to put them in.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 08:56:42 pm »
Sounds like a good deal.Get ready for more bees
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 04:32:29 pm »
I think I will look into doing the same here. Thanks for the idea.
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 04:38:57 pm »
It makes alot of sense to me as a viable way to get some free bees but, I have concerns about their genetics.  I'll admit, this may sound like paranoia, but, after seeing my first africanized hive just outside of Tampa, I often think twice before even touching swarms.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 04:41:14 pm »
after seeing my first africanized hive just outside of Tampa, I often think twice before even touching swarms.

fortunately that's not an issue up here.  also, i'd think that you'd be pretty safe if you are getting swarms from a pros hives.  might be a bit different if you are digging them out of trees.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 06:43:30 pm »
I found a webpage that showed two parishs next to mine had AHB's last year but the beek that is helping me said that he has had to distroy some hive because he thought they were AHB's. He is a commercial beek with 30+ years of time with the bees. I live in Acadia parish.
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."