Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: burr comb on inner cover  (Read 2839 times)

Offline bluetickdon

• New Bee
burr comb on inner cover
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:15:35 pm »
Hi  I'm a new bee keeper and this is my first hive and I did not space my frames out right after I checked and removed the queen box. So after 2 weeks I checked the frames for the first time and had burr comb. Frames looked great tho and whrn I wen to put thed m back in I was smashing bees into honey/burr comb  so I started to remove some of it. To safely put them back. I put yhe comb out from the have soo the bees could get their honey back. ........... I have a brood box inner cover a small chicken waterer with syrup tgen 2 honey supers (no frames) and the a top cover. One way or another i put a little of the burr comb on the inner cover with the feeder  nowva small handful of bees are making comb where I had put that burr comb. .........what's going on y are they doing that and did I screw up      thx  for  ur time

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: burr comb on inner cover
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29:56 pm »
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give bees open space. They will always fill it with comb. If you have no-frame supers on, stop the bees from accessing them. That is the first place they will build.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bluetickdon

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 11:51:30 pm »
Soo its a bad idea to have the feeder on top of the inner cover ?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 11:55:21 pm »
Blue, I agree with iddee.  If there is open space where the bees can reach, they will fill it with comb.  They will comb up top feeders if there is space under them.

We don't know your location, but at least in the mid west USA, the bees have more than enough nectar sources outside.  If there is nectar in your area, I would not feed this time of year.

If for some reason you have more than about 10mm of space between the top of your frames and the inner cover, they'll eventually burr that up.  What you can do it use polyethylene sheet plastic to keep the burr comb from sticking to the inner cover if you want.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:14:50 am »
If you feed on the inner cover, be sure the inner cover hole is covered so the bees can not get past the feeder and into the supers.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:24:15 am »
I have a brood box inner cover a small chicken waterer with syrup tgen 2 honey supers (no frames) and the a top cover.

It is summer now. Take all feeders away.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline bluetickdon

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:45:46 am »
The bees were super late comming out of Ga. Cause of how cold it was this spring. I pivked them up 6/23. Was told they will need some help to make it this winter. I'm in maryland. But that's why I joined on here was looking to learn more and get others ideas

Offline bluetickdon

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 12:49:37 am »
And u mean put a jar with holes in the lid over inner cover hole instead off to the side. Was I wrong gor rrmoving some of the burr come to be able to put frames back

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 12:51:54 am »
And u mean put a jar with holes in the lid over inner cover hole instead off to the side. Was I wrong gor rrmoving some of the burr come to be able to put frames back

What ever but use your brains

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 01:45:56 am »
Yep, put a jar with holes OVER (and covering) the inner cover if you want to feed.  Don’t let the bees get into those empty boxes. 

I know it’s tempting to feed, but this time of year Maryland should have lots and lots of nectar for the bees.  White clover is a biggie.  With all the rain in the eastern US this summer, surely there must be white clover in bloom out there.  Linden trees are still in bloom here to. 

Personally I wouldn’t feed since the bees will fill up valuable brood cells with syrup if they have access to too much.  However if for some reason your combs are lacking of honey/nectar/syrup, then a little feed is OK. 

You gotta remove the burr comb sooner or later, so now is a good time.  You don’t really want to have a burred up mess going into winter.  There is still PLENTY of time to get your bees ready for winter.  I make splits in August that survive winter.  Don’t get too paranoid about winter yet. 

BTW... Sometimes it is best to just ignore our Finnish friend when he gets in one of his moods.... :angel:

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 02:16:00 am »

BTW... Sometimes it is best to just ignore our Finnish friend when he gets in one of his moods.... :angel:

I remind that Bluebee is more dangerous to hives than Michigan winter.

What I have learned from Bluebee is thanksgiving honey balls to bees. It is sad that we have not thanksgiving day that we should rescue hives in the middle of wintering.