Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: can't figure this one out  (Read 1192 times)

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
can't figure this one out
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:28:11 am »
did a cut out on 5-29, was a very small colony and did not get the queen for some reason.
Bought a queen on 6-4 and she was out and about laying eggs on 6-6.
Bees not drawing comb or even attaching the cut out comb to the frames very well.
6-10 Gave them a frame of capped brood thinking this will boost numbers and get them going.
6-25 many new bees doing their orientation flight, looked good, this must have been the brood from the capped frame.
6-29 went through them expecting to put them in a ten frame box but to my suprise they had two swarm queen cells, one capped and one open. Get to looking and there are two queens walking around on the same frame and even on top of each other. There is not enough workers in the hive (a five frame nuc) to even swarm, only enough bees to cover four of the five frames. The bought queen is laying a good solid pattern and there were plenty of eggs laid in the newly emptied cells (the hatch from 6-6 eggs). they are very poor on stores but I have been feeding them.

This is the craziest bunch of bees I have ever seen, act just plum lazy to me.

Any ideas??

G3

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: can't figure this one out
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:52:44 pm »
Are your sure those aren't supercedure cells?  Sounds as if the hive is still confused from the cutout.  I'd recommend putting in a couple more frames of brood to build population, monitor the 2 queen situation, and hope for the best.  Also, I'd question why the pre-cutout hive was so small at this time of year.  Was it full of green comb?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!