Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Windmill (MAY 12,2010 UPDATED)  (Read 9359 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Windmill (MAY 12,2010 UPDATED)
« on: April 28, 2010, 05:58:54 pm »
I am in the process of putting together a windmill. Who would like to see it in progress?

I bought the gear case last year.

I regret I didn't get pictures of the well hole repair. When we moved here in 2002 there was this hole where an old irrigation well use to be. We decided then we would do something with it. The well casing where it sticks out of the ground was surrounded by a concrete pad I guess the old irrigation motor was sitting on. It had a few cracks in it. Then early this year we noticed it was sagging a little weirdly. a chunk of it was missing and we could see a really deep hole around the casing. So after a bit of info from a well driller, we busted up the concrete and let it drop down the hole. Then we gathered up other big chunks of concrete we had and dropped them in there until we had filled the hole to within three feet of ground level. We then mixed and poured concrete into there to finish filling it up. We then poured another pad on top.... and of course everyone had to put their name and hand prints and dates in it.  :roll:

I will get other pictures on here either tonight or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:33:54 pm by buzzbee »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Windmill
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:06:33 pm »
A little bit about the gear casing.

Click on image to enlarge. You see the number FA - 702. The "A" tells you it needs an eight foot sail assembly. You know... the part that spins in the wind.
x would be a six footer
b = ten footer
c = 12"
d = 14"
e = 16"

And I guess they get even bigger than that.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:17:26 am »
In the first posting when talking about filling in the collapsing hole I failed to mention that after dropping in all the busted up concrete I had a ripped up trampoline mat that I put in to keep the concrete I poured in from going down through the gaps. Can use tarps or other types of material.

This is where the windmill is going.

You can click on all images and get a larger image.

These four pieces of angle Iron are for the stub tower.

You don't need a stub tower if you are using a steel Aeromotor Co. tower. But you will need it if mounting an Aeromotor gear case onto any other steel tower or on a wooden tower. I am going to build.... I mean over build... a wooden tower. (You will see what I mean later on)

The mast pole is what the gear case mounts on. That is this primer red thing right here...

It is already bolted into two pieces of the stub tower.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:09:29 am by Jerrymac »

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:27:12 am »
Now while putting the stub tower and mast pole together you will find an odd thing. Or I thought so...

These bolts go diagonally

You have four bolts to attach the bottom of the mast pole to the Stub tower. Take note that two are longer than the other two

That's because you have to attach the furling handle to one side

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:33:04 am »
I had all of this together and took it apart so I could take the pictures. This little jewel was all together and you could just slide it down from the top, which I did the first time around.

But then I forgot to put it on during all the picture taking. It goes here at the top of the stub tower...

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 10:07:31 am »
Let's move to the sail assembly for a bit. By the way some of this can cut your hands. My son wore his gloves.

You need three of these sail ribs...

To go onto three of the sails

Now really. Do you think they would just slide on there easily? Of course not. See that little bent tongue looking thingy-bob? As is it is in the way.

So you have to beat it into submission. I mean, bend it a little. (No I don't have a vise. But thanks for asking)

Sometimes there is a little something left behind that needs removing

This should do the trick

We then stand the sail up on the larger end and find a starting point on the narrower end to fit the grooves onto the sail and gently tap it downward until the bent tongue goes into that little slit.

For us, with the tongue of the sail rib pointing downward it was placed on the sail just right. Make sure you have it placed right or the next phase will be messed up. You push the outer wheel band into the slit.

I said PUSH it into the slit...

Well sometimes we had to take the hammer to that also. You now do that two more times
After sliding three of the sails onto the outer wheel band, you put in the bolts and nuts, attaching the sail rib to the band.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT ALL ON THE RIGHT WAY. Then attach the inner wheel band.

You now have to do that five more times.

You don't want to tighten all of those nuts and bolts until you have the wheel assembled on the spokes.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:31:59 pm by Jerrymac »

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: Windmill (UPDATED)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 12:46:45 pm »
Very cool, I like windmills.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 01:03:29 pm »
Go ahead with that windmill Jerry, lookin' good!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 02:03:11 pm »
Great info. -Also one of my back burner plans.
(& one to fill/aerate the fish pond.)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:15:23 am »
looks great!  I am envious... already checked on my areas wind rating... not recomended for wind turbins, the break even return extends past the equipment lifespan.  Guess I am stuck with solar panels.. hot sun we got plenty of for sure!
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:51:24 am »
This is a water pumping windmill.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Windmill (MAY 08,2010 UPDATED)
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 12:10:19 pm »
I know you have been holding your breath for more on this project.

I finally figured out the wood I was going to need to do this with. I have changed it a bit and will not over build it as much as I was thinking on doing.

After getting the lumber, wouldn't you know it, it turned cool and windy.  Perhaps Monday and Tuesday ( May 10th & 11th) I will get started cutting and drilling and posting more pictures.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 07:27:47 pm »
I have been informed by buzzbee that I can not change the subject line to show I have done an update. Probably doesn't really need to be done, as I am sure the little blue "new" sign will come on. (Well it is blue for me) Just thought it might help those who are interested. If it is changed as I update it is buzzbee doing it.... Thank you buzzbee.

Today started out really great. Not cold and it was sunny and calm. So I went out and piddled a bit with the windmill.

I actually started putting the post on a couple of days ago using lag bolts. I soon decided I didn't like that. Seems I always strip out the wood when I tightened them up and they just don't seem firm enough. So off I go to get 4" long 3/8ths bolts, nuts, and washers.

I place the post six inches up into the angle iron and clamp them into place. I measure from the bottom of the post to the top of the mast pipe to make sure they all come out the same. I had placed two of them and then measured and they were around a quarter of an inch different. I was wracking my brain wondering how I managed to mess up so badly. I then measured just the post and sure enough one was a quarter of an inch longer. These post came from the same bundle. Found out I have several that are 8' 1/4" long and others are exactly 8'.

So be sure to measure the length of your post before you put them on the windmill. Perhaps even before you purchase them.

Did I mention I was using pressure treated wood?

I got four of those 8' long bolted to the stub tower now. The extra wood is just for support right now. Except for that one on the end of that one leg. That is to be one of the many splices this thing is going to need. I am using 1/2" all thread to bolt the splices and post together with. I made this...

to hold it while I hack sawed it off to the length I want. Who needs a vise  :roll:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 07:37:37 pm »
OH I forgot to mention. Remember there is a pump rod that is going to be going down through the middle of this thing. So look down the pipe where the pump rod is going to go after putting these four pieces in to make sure there is room for it. If not you will have to shave some of the top inner corners off the post. I don't have to shave any off, but if I had stuffed the post in further than six inches I would have had to cut some off.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:51:02 pm by Jerrymac »

Offline Superdog

• New Bee
Re: Windmill (MAY 12,2010 UPDATED)
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 09:14:50 am »
very cool

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 09:53:00 am »
So just how deep is the well and how far down to the water level?   And I was wondering, just how far can a windmill pull water up?   Looks great so far.

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 10:57:35 am »
 And I was wondering, just how far can a windmill pull water up? 
You can't "Pull" water more than 32 foot - maximum. Probably less. That's because the pressure drop caused by that column of water weight pulls the pressure, at the top of that 32 foot, well below the vapor pressure and the water will "boil" or evaporate into vapor. So you end up having to push it up from any thing deeper with an submerged foot valve or pump.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 05:10:45 pm »
You can't "Pull" water more than 32 foot - maximum. Probably less. That's because the pressure drop caused by that column of water weight pulls the pressure, at the top of that 32 foot, well below the vapor pressure and the water will "boil" or evaporate into vapor. So you end up having to push it up from any thing deeper with an submerged foot valve or pump.

You don't pull the water.... umm you umm...   Well you pull the sucker rod that causes the cylinder to push the water.... Make sense? Look at this..

http://www.aermotorwindmill.com/links/education/windmill_movie.asp

I have the eight foot sail. My charts say with a 1 3/4 inch cylinder I can pump water from as far as 185 feet down at around 150 gallons per hour at maximum speed. That means when the wind is blowing strong enough to turn the windmill.

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 12:18:13 am »

You don't pull the water.... umm you umm...   Well you pull the sucker rod that causes the cylinder to push the water....
Yeah, I know. But that wasn't the way AllenFs question was put. I tried to tell him the same thing you are telling me.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

anything