Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BEE COUNT  (Read 8171 times)

Offline JRS

• House Bee
BEE COUNT
« on: March 01, 2007, 10:08:49 pm »
When you split your hive how strong should it be or how many boxes should they be accuping(I use all medium 10 frame)?
The only stupid question is the question unasked,thanx for the help.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: BEE COUNT
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 10:13:44 pm »
I would wait untill you have almost 4 boxes full of brood before you think about splitting.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:28:57 am »
That depends on a lot of things, but certainly splitting too soon is a bad idea.  Personally, if you have some control over the timing (like they're not already making swarm cells or you don't have some kind of deadline to meet) I'd shoot for two weeks before the main flow and just take the old queen and all the open brood (except one frame) for the split.  This maximized the foraging force in the old hive because they have no brood to care for, it happens at a time of year when the weather is nice so you don't get chilled brood from not enough bees to keep the brood warm, it gives the bees a chance to make a new queen at a time of year when there are lots of drones and lots of food, and it helps with Varroa because the old hive skips one whole brood cycle where they would have been raising Varroa and dividing their workforce raising brood DURING the flow that won't be available DURING the flow.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm

But, I certainly wouldn't split a hive that had less than bees on ten frames.  More would be better.

Bees need a certain critical mass before they can really take off.  That means there have to be some "spare" bees to take up the slack, raise more brood, forage, keep the brood warm on cold nights etc.  When there is a surplus of bees the hive can really take off.  When there is not they often struggle.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 07:44:03 am »
I would wait untill you have almost 4 boxes full of brood before you think about splitting.

What do you mean by boxes? brood boxes? seems excessive I never have more than two deeps per hive.

Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

All that's golden must bee honey!

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 06:12:08 pm »

What do you mean by boxes? brood boxes? seems excessive I never have more than two deeps per hive.

I belive we are talking about med boxes that is where the 4 boxes came in which is about the same as two deeps.

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 07:49:24 pm »
Ok I understand, I was rereading my post and it sounded a little snippy and I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to be, I was just wondering if I was understanding your meaning, sorry for the way it sounded.
Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 07:54:08 pm »
No harm done.  Question everything just to make sure, the exchange of ideas is a good thing.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 08:07:24 pm »
No harm done.  Question everything just to make sure, the exchange of ideas is a good thing.
(joke)
Yes it is. So is the crushing of egos and taking of candy from babies. Next week I close down a couple of orphanges. It will be a good week. The exchange is welcome so long as everyone remembers it's my way or the highway.  ;)
(/joke)

Some of us run unlimited brood. I do not use an excluder. I usually run 6 mediums for brood. That is equal to 4 deeps. Other members run less some run as many.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 08:43:48 pm »
Thanks guys, and is understudy really your friend! :-\
Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 09:18:35 pm »
Thanks guys, and is understudy really your friend! :-\

I would like to think so. 8-)

Offline JRS

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 10:37:46 pm »
Ok mines not there yet,they should be good for a year or two without the split. THANKS
The only stupid question is the question unasked,thanx for the help.

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 09:52:03 am »

Some of us run unlimited brood. I do not use an excluder. I usually run 6 mediums for brood. That is equal to 4 deeps. Other members run less some run as many.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Some beeks still use excluders???
Sugarbush Bees

Offline kgbenson

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 03:01:51 pm »
"Some beeks still use excluders???"

Yep, and like everything in beekeeping, there are divided opinions.  Some love 'em, some hate 'em.

Keith "ask 10 beekepers the same question and you will get 11 answers" Benson
Bee-sting Honey . . . So Good It Hurts.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 08:54:18 pm »
>Ok mines not there yet,they should be good for a year or two without the split. THANKS

A year or two?  Doubtful.  The population of a hive can change very rapidly.  Basically it can double or triple in about three weeks.  I'd keep your eyes open and decide when the time comes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything