Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutting Out Bee Hive in Outdoor Fireplace/ BBQ  (Read 6608 times)

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
Cutting Out Bee Hive in Outdoor Fireplace/ BBQ
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:47:11 pm »
A lady near foothills of Altadena has bees going in out of missing grouted areas between stones in left side of outdoor BBQ/ fireplace. She has weddings/ parties near this firesplace so bees need to go. Started 3pm yesterday by removing a rectangular shaped stone a bit bigger than brick. That was the only demo she would allow. Plugged up some other holes w/ alum foil.

Came across this from JP on "Poison Bees" thread & sure enough that's were they were/ are by hearth:

"Want to add something about the fireplace killing bees. In most fireplaces you have outer bricks, a space, and then the hearth, which is generally ceramic, so that it can withstand heat from the fireplace.

Bees almost always are in between the outer bricks and the hearth, the smoke and heat are within the hearth, so firing up the fireplace mostly does nothing to the colony of bees living there." JP

The lady said that she was planning on using that void for a time capsule but bees moved in first. I was able through the hole w/ hand & tongs, to remove 5 large combs in pieces but some of pieces fell to bottom of void unreachable to me by hand. Tried using BBQ skewers & tongs to remove but taking to long. Getting a shop vac today to see if that will work better. Was trying to brush out some bees but many still in the void & workers nasonoving there & not at nuc hive w/ brood. Leaving shortly to resume & hope more bees have joined nuc w/ queen. Need to build Robo's bee vac as would greatly help in these tight enclosed voids. When is Robo putting out plans to follow? I will buy in a flash.

Cheers, David S

PS Will post pics soon.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: Cutting Out Bee Hive in Outdoor Fireplace/ BBQ
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:52:55 pm »
But you were able to capture the queen?

Good work on the cut out, it doesn't sound like it was in an easy spot.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:15:39 pm »
That was the only demo she would allow. Plugged up some other holes w/ alum foil.

that's one i would have walked on.  they either want the bees out or they don't.  they don't get to make the demo call.  hope you charged her extra.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:12:32 pm by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 05:04:31 pm »
That was the only demo she would allow.

She sounds like she's a few fries short of a "Happy Meal."  It's like pregnancy you either are or aren't.  Either I have the job or I don't.  I don't get taken for a test drive.  I would allow her to seek alternative removal providers once she asked for a demo.  Life is simply too short to even deal with Crazy Makers.  I hope this turns out well for you but my Whack-Job radar is going off.  The time capsule explanation doesn't help changing my mind at all either.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:24:34 pm »
D...it IS so Cal after all! Fruits and nuts remember? (no offense meant everyone) :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 04:22:16 am »
But you were able to capture the queen?

Good work on the cut out, it doesn't sound like it was in an easy spot.

Thanks. Wasn't ez & no queen for me.

Well had to go back later today round 4pm & when arrived a contingent of bees were entering the old hive but area was subdued compared to Wednesday. Opened up nuc hive & only few bees. Got flashlight & sure enough queen had absconded. Later talked to the madame's son & he said his mum had seen a whirlwind of a swarm going straight up round noonish. He also mentioned this was second hive in that same location & last people stayed only few hours to remove. I was wondering where all that comb in bottom of void had come from,lol. I removed a 3 gallon pail of comb w/ tongs but still some down below. Anyways bees still alive & the marriages, parties & psychic readings can resume unhindered in land of the fruity & nutty environs of so-Cal :-D

Any one seen the model of vacuum Robo uses, that 5.0hp Dirt Devil? The Craftsman 5.0 hp I checked out today has a bulky top to attach to bee-vac housing.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 04:32:50 am »
That was the only demo she would allow. Plugged up some other holes w/ alum foil.

that's one i would have walked on.  they either want the bees out or they don't.  they don't get to make the demo call.  hope you charged her extra.

Kathy this was a fireplace first but in hindsight should have charged xtra. Was a bummer as was hoping to have nother hive but queen absconded outta fireplace to parts unknown. Brood comb is not even w/ nurse bees so whole endeavor seems a waste on gaining a hive.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 06:38:35 am »
Yep, that was a sticky situation. (  :-D )

As mentioned there's a lot of different ways of getting a colony of bees, don't ever be afraid to pass on ones that appear to be hard on the bees and you.

I recently had a fellow contact me who was uncooperative. I asked twice if I could gain access to the interior of a room in order to determine if the bees were in a soffit section or the wall void.

He informed me that bees had been in this house several times before, always behind the cedar shakes and all the other bee removal people hired in the past simply removed the shakes, the bees, then put everything back.

Why couldn't I do the same?

That's when I informed him that I am not "the other people" and that the bees could be either in the overhead soffit (most likely) or the wall void but since he was being so stubborn as to allowing me to do my job, perhaps he should hire someone else.

I did my best to not be rude.

He mentioned "another person" went by and wouldn't return his call.

I wonder why?

If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 09:50:50 am »
oh well.  nothing is a waste.  you have a story to tell and a new experience under your belt  :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 03:18:48 am »
Here is the outdoor fireplace/bbq pics of hive I cut out but wasn't successful in relocating to mini apiary. Yes more experiences Kathy, live & learn,lol. JP you got that right it was harder on bees & than me, but glad bees at least still living another day albeit in the feral.

Cheers, David S

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:31:17 am »
Pic didn't work for me.

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 12:55:06 pm »
Pic didn't work for me.

I forgot being a new bee here they will not function yet. Try this:

Outdoor Fireplace/BBQ Fortress Hive

Also you can right click on the unavailable pic in previous post, choose properties & then copy the link displayed & paste in browser window.

Cheers, David S

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 05:12:04 pm »
Nice cut out David. Doesn't look like it was fun.

Also, nice trap out. I saw it later in the picture series. I've never seen a 'bee escape' used that way. I always just thought about using Iddee's conal wire device. But I guess either work well.

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 09:42:42 pm »
Nice cut out David. Doesn't look like it was fun.

Also, nice trap out. I saw it later in the picture series. I've never seen a 'bee escape' used that way. I always just thought about using Iddee's conal wire device. But I guess either work well.

Thanks, wasn't fun for me or bees. Almost got my arm stuck a few times as elbow was tight fit. Next time will request a more through demo & if not given will walk.

Yes learned that more experienced beekeep/ rescuer Kirk Anderson was using Porter bee escapes.

Kirks Trap Out Illustrated

For larger hives might be to slow & I'm still needing to order a transparent Porters bee escape to see if clogged easier. Heard from one of the residents at trap out location & they have taken to the trap out hive so far so good. Will see later this week if all is going smoothly.

Cheers, David S

anything