Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: In ground pot, to keep size down.  (Read 3802 times)

Offline RyanB

• House Bee
In ground pot, to keep size down.
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:42:26 pm »
Hello all,

Question for you all is, i've been told that tree's in a large pot will only grow to a size that the roots will allow inside of a pot.  I've been interested in getting a Tulip Poplar but really dont want a giant tree. If I made an "in ground" pot say 6 Ft deep by 3 Ft wide. Do you think this would keep the poplar from getting gigantic (Over 20 Ft tall)?
Currently Fermenting:

Cherry Melomel - 1Gal
Pear Melomel - 1Gal
White Pyment - 1Gal
Root Beer Mead - 1Gal
Mead Cyser - 5Gal

Recently Finished:
Sack Mead - 1Gal, Very Good!
Braggot - 1Gal, Very popular!
Mead Cyser - 1Gal, Wifes Fav!
JAO - 1Gal, Nice, A bit too sweet.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: In ground pot, to keep size down.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:20:09 pm »
I really don't see how you could make a pot that big that the roots could not find a crack in. Just a hair line crack and the roots will break it apart. If root bound in a pot I think it would die off after a little while if the wind did not blow it over.

Just thinking out loud.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:04 pm »
Good point. I was also wondering if you didnt have any drain holes the roots might rot. Good idea though.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:33:12 am »
Not a giant tree by any means.
40 to 80 ft tall. That is a midget compared to some you have in that neck of the woods. :roll: :shock:
If you have an area that is about 60 feet in diameter and not close to any power lines,
I don't see a problem. doak.

Offline maker

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 03:07:01 am »
A chainsaw works great for me when it comes to keeping trees short (think giant bonsai, not half a tree and top it early to encourage branching). The roots will keep going, though. Keep the poplars at least 20-30 feet away from concrete and plumbing. Poplar is notorious for shallow root systems and actively seeking out water. If there is a crack nearby the tree will find the water in it and grow there making the crack bigger/taller/deeper. And once there is a giant root under your driveway (right on a seam and lifting one side) getting rid of the tree only slows things down. The giant root keeps shooting new sprouts right on the edge or the cut/concrete. Don't ask how i know this, please. Let's just say stepping down into the garage isn't so bad until you are trying to push something heavy out of the garage and up the 3" step.

Offline RyanB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 04:02:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone!  Anything over 20' tall is going to be an issue.  We had other poplar tree's that were about 80' tall and it cost me 4k to remove them. If they fell over they would either have destroyed my garage or the neighbors house.  Hence why I dont want anything larger then 20'.  I suppose I could top the tree, though I have been told that is bad for the tree. No real problems with the roots that I know of as there is no concrete within 20' of where I want to plant it.

Thanks again!
Currently Fermenting:

Cherry Melomel - 1Gal
Pear Melomel - 1Gal
White Pyment - 1Gal
Root Beer Mead - 1Gal
Mead Cyser - 5Gal

Recently Finished:
Sack Mead - 1Gal, Very Good!
Braggot - 1Gal, Very popular!
Mead Cyser - 1Gal, Wifes Fav!
JAO - 1Gal, Nice, A bit too sweet.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 07:02:29 pm »
Have you considered Mimosa trees?
after they get 10 to 15 feet tall, cut out the terminal bud.
Bees love-um. :)doak

Offline Wes Sapp

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 08:12:54 pm »
While a beauty, Mimosa is an invasive weed:
http://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping/article.phtml?cat=32&id=532
Such is the case with the Mimosa Tree (Albizia julibrissin). Originally brought to the U.S. as an ornamental tree, it has escaped gardens and has pushed its way into natural areas that should be preserved for native plants. With its ability to reproduce vigorously and with only one natural enemy to keep it in check (Fusarium wilt), it has spread unchecked across the South.

Wes Sapp