Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncapping Knife question  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Uncapping Knife question
« on: March 12, 2023, 05:10:37 am »
Hi Folks,

I noticed that Pierce now have a 12? uncapping knife for sale. I have been using the 10? knife for about 10 years now and have found it to work quite well. I have always thought it was a little short for full depth frames and often wondered if they would produce a longer one. Has anyone used this new knife? How well does it perform in relation to balance and ease of use compared to the shorter version? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Les

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Uncapping Knife question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 07:17:49 am »
I find when uncapping people tend to think something bigger will work better because you can get something in one swipe.  In reality I find smaller is usually better because it takes less effort to get it through the cappings.  My favorite at this time is the uncapping plane:
https://thehoneyandbeeconnection.com/product/maxant-uncapping-plane

I plug it into a foot switch so I can turn it off easily.  If I my arm gets tired, I switch to a knife for a little while.  The knife hurts my wrist if I use it all day.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 02:12:49 am »
Thanks Michael. That was my thinking as well. The extra length would be nice but it would come at a cost in relation to the pressure put on your wrist. As it is, the 10? blade works quite well on young comb but the uncapping task becomes quite difficult if the frame has had a lot of brood in it. Increasing the blade length would rapidly make this process more painful.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 08:37:46 am »
My favorite at this time is the uncapping plane:
https://thehoneyandbeeconnection.com/product/maxant-uncapping-plane
I am surprised that someone hasn't made a table top version where you could just lay the frame down and uncap one side at a time.  It could be heated directly by electric or recirculating hot water from a tank. Push the frame through with both hands instead of trying to push a knife through
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 12:30:21 pm »
There are such things.  Unfortunately they are usually very expensive and most of the best designs don't seem to be available anymore.  One of my favorite (that I saw, but never used) was two steam heated knives and you push the frame down and pull it up and it's done.  I don't remember for sure who the manufacturer was.  I think it was Cook & Beals. 
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 05:00:51 pm »
Acebird, I bought one last year. It has a V shaped knife that is heated by steam. The frame is placed on a moving bed that you push over the stationary knife. On clean, plump combs it does a magnificent job. On comb that has held brood, it works exceptionally well. The issue I have with it is that I?m double handling frames. With the knife, burr comb, propolis on frame edges and skinny sections on some frames are all dealt with at one time. With the Lyson uncapper, the process becomes more complicated and takes more time.