Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: home made swarm lure? what to use?  (Read 35046 times)

Offline bayareaartist

• House Bee
home made swarm lure? what to use?
« on: May 17, 2005, 10:48:53 pm »
hi all,
I was wondering about home made swaqrm lures and how to make them and  what to use.

thank you,
Donn
Donn

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 01:15:43 am »
I've heard that lemongrass essential oil works good.
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 08:17:49 am »
The only homemade swarm lure I remember reading about, was to use some brood and wax from a hive. (This isn't totally pleasant.) But what I read said to smash it up, put it in a panty hose, and then place it in a box were the bees can get to.

Beth

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 08:46:14 am »
After my 40 years beekeeping I do not know nothing lure to atract swarm. It can go where ever.

The best lure is empty hive, but it does not work in the place where is already  hives.

It is better to concentrate to study how to prevent  swarming. Swarming is good not at all. http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/PDFs/Swarm_Prev_Control_PM.pdf

Or if you are going to catch swarms, it is another project.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 09:19:26 am »
Finsky I disagree. I just met a new friend last week with 33 hives and so fare he has cuaght 6 swarms that are not from his hives, in the trees hanging over his hives. It seams like his bees are attrackting others.
Ryan Horn

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 10:54:44 am »
You can buy swarm lure from Mann Lake, Brushy Mt etc.

But Lemongrass essential oil works just as well and is cheaper.  Both will work better than just old comb, but old comb will help.  Lemongrass essential oil smells like Nasonov pheromone.  Just use a few drops (three or four) in the bait hive.

You can also drop your old queens in a jar of alcohol and use the alcohol for swarm lure.  The alcohol has the QMP (queen madibular pheromone) in it.  Just use a few drops in the bait hive.  Works well in combination with the Lemongrass oil.

Of course, bait hives are like fishing.  It's a gamble.  If you find a good location I would put more there.  If you aren't getting any swarms by the end of the swarm season, I'd move them to another location next year.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 12:17:56 pm »
Quote from: Michael Bush

But Lemongrass essential oil works just as well and is cheaper.  Both will work better than just old comb, but old comb will help.

Okay! I must use that. My bees tend to go to upper branches of 15 m long pines. Difficult to go there with my 210 pound weight  :P

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 01:40:47 pm »
You can also pick a nice low hanging limb and put some lemongrass oil there and it may encorage them to swarm to a nicer spot.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 07:42:55 am »
Quote from: Michael Bush
You can also pick a nice low hanging limb and put some lemongrass oil there and it may encorage them to swarm to a nicer spot.  :)

Thanks. I have never heard about that. I get that medicin!

Offline ROOKIE

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 09:17:53 am »
I would like to make up my own Lures for next year, The recipe (Schmidt and Thoenes 1992) that I have is- equal parts   of Geraniol, Citral, and Nerolic Acid plus Geranic acids.  The Geraniol seems to be readily available but I cant track down the others, Can anyone help? Also  a supplier of the Plastic Vials.   I would appreciate any help.
JIM

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 11:38:03 pm »
>The recipe (Schmidt and Thoenes 1992) that I have is- equal parts of Geraniol, Citral, and Nerolic Acid plus Geranic acids. The Geraniol seems to be readily available but I cant track down the others

http://dyeschemical.com/dyesintermediats.htm

http://www.iff.com/Ingredients.nsf/0/59A9C543239FCF9285256B8F0075E74C

http://www.millenniumchem.com/Products+and+Services/Products+by+Type/Aroma+Chemicals/p_GERANIOL+80/GERANIOL+80_EN.htm

Here's Nasonov:
http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/bkCD/HBBiology/bee_behavior.htm

The Lemongrass oil works just as well and is much easier to find.
-------------------

Offline ROOKIE

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 03:31:14 pm »
That's great,  Thanks Michael.
JIM

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 04:23:28 pm »
I got lure from Russian.

I got one swarm, but I did not noticed if it worked.

Queen's wing was clipped and most bees tuned to hive. I catched  queen in front of hive.

I put in old place 2 deeps with foundations, a larva frame and queen. So it started new life. When yield started I put another weak hive to support that hive. It worked nicely. It got 2 deeps full of pollen and lot of honey.

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
Lemongrass essential oil
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 05:02:27 pm »
Glad I found this post. Its been something I've wanted to know for a while.

In Australia, it will probably be marketed with a slightly different name. Also, I'm not sure what type of product it is.

Is it a:

Cosmetic product
    asian food product
    health food product
    other product of some description[/list:u]

I'm not sure which shop to go looking for this product in.
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 09:12:38 pm »
Lemongrass essential oil is usually available from health food stores but sometimes a perfumery will have it and you can find it online.
-------------------

manowar422

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 11:44:41 am »
Does the scent of the lemongrass oil resemble lemons :?:
I recently purchased some off eBay as swarm lure, but
I don't know how to tell if it's genuine Lemongrass Oil.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 09:42:08 pm »
>Does the scent of the lemongrass oil resemble lemons

Resemble?  Yes.  But it's identical to Lemon Pledge.
-------------------

manowar422

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 12:49:54 pm »
it's identical to Lemon Pledge

Thanks Michael, that comparison makes me 99%
sure the stuff I bought is the genuine article :)
The oil must be pretty pure cause it's aroma
is strong. :shock:

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 02:17:01 pm »
Thanks for all the response. I've had a look online and I can get it in Australia from about 5 or so different places easily. Some places label it as Lemongrass cochin essential oil. I'm assuming its all the same thing for out purposes. Newdirections.com.au seems to be the cheapest for it and has the widest range, but they all seem to be quite cheap.

Cheers,
James
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: home made swarm lure? what to use?
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 10:18:51 am »
I would like to make up my own Lures for next year, The recipe (Schmidt and Thoenes 1992) that I have is- equal parts   of Geraniol, Citral, and Nerolic Acid plus Geranic acids.  The Geraniol seems to be readily available but I cant track down the others, Can anyone help? Also  a supplier of the Plastic Vials.   I would appreciate any help.

Rookie, it would be interesting if you told us how you made out with this creation of lures, I know I would be interested, tell us the story.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, love life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything