Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beginner Question About Buying Bees  (Read 1518 times)

Offline tsnyder88

• Brood
Beginner Question About Buying Bees
« on: May 25, 2009, 03:01:42 pm »
I am new to this whole process and have a million questions but first and foremost what is the best way to go about starting to get my hives and bees. Is it a good idea to buy existing hives (hive, bees and queen) from someone who is downsizing or going out of business. Is there a lot of risk to the bees and queen in moving the hives a fairly large distance and change in altitude?

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
Re: Beginner Question About Buying Bees
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:32:09 pm »
There will probably be many opinions, but I think you are better off starting with new equipment and package bees or a swarm.  With old equipment, it is probably more difficult to identify the level of viroa mite infestation and you may be getting a hive that is on its way out.  Alternatively, it could be a resistant survivor strain, so who knows.  As far as moving the hives, the don't care...they will reorient at the new location.  Just seal them up at night and move the hive while everyone is in it.
-Mike

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:56:00 pm »
 My suggestion is a 5 frame nuc in new equipment, with "new" not being a priority. What is a priority is getting it from someone reputable. That way you get a laying queen with bees that are used to her and don't have the "down" time waiting on a package to draw comb, hope they like the queen, and waiting for her first layed eggs to hatch. Just add frames and watch them grow.
 Another reason for starting small is you grow with them and can learn what goes on in the hive without being intimidated by 50,000 bees swirling around you.
 Another thing is start with at least two hives if possible.
 Its moving bees a very short distance that can be a problem, not a long distance as long as they don't overheat.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 04:05:10 pm »
Moving the bees is not bad, I moved some over 100 miles in the trunk and back seat of the car when I was younger. Make some screened tops and screened entrance covers.

For the entrance covers I used 1/8" hardware cloth bent into a "U" shape and just pushed it into the opening, two staples on either end and you are good to go.

Stopped for gas going home with hives in the trunk and some boys told me of a swarm just up the road, found a cardboard box and got them on the way.

G3

sorry to stray off topic, just remembering some fun times
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 04:40:07 pm »
My second year beekeeping opinion:  If you live in the south, I wouldn't be afraid to start with packages.  If you live in the north, nucs are the way to go.  That is, if you are buying nucs split from overwintered hives in your area.  If I ever buy packages from the south or CA again, I will re-queen with queens from my area.  Swarms are also a great way.  If they were strong enough to swarm then they obviously came out of winter in good shape.  My package hive from last year only made it to Feb., but my swarm hive is so strong that I might split it twice. 

You are clearly at an advantage.  You found this forum before you bought anything.  Keep reading and asking questions and the good people from this forum will guide through it all.

Good luck!

By the way, fill in where you are located.  It helps everyone help you by knowing where you are.

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 05:10:28 pm »
I don't think I would wait too much longer, even if buying a nuc, would you? It's May 25th already, wow... Where does time go?

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.