Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Keeping Edicate  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Bee Keeping Edicate
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:11:40 pm »
I've been considering placing a hive or two near a very large field of Lavender next year. Before I do, I'd like to ensure that I don't create any problems with the individual that owns the Lavender crop.  How should I approach this idea?  Should I tell the owner that I'll be placing the hive(s) near his/her property?  I want to be polite, but by the same token, if he/she tells me not to do it, I've moved myself into a very awkward position. What is the ethical behavior?

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Bee Keeping Edicate
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:24:49 pm »
If your hives are within a mile or so of this lavender field, on your property or someone elses with their permission, and the bees want it, they got it !

The hives don't need to bee sitting on top of it, remember bees travel.

Also, sometimes " Silence is Golden "        ;)

Good Luck
Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:21:33 pm »
Any reason why they would care?  There are bees in there right now anyway.

Do they spray? (I don't know anything about growing lavender)  Is there a reason that extra pollination would be a benefit (or detriment)?.

Bees are bees, they go where they want.  As long as you aren't trespassing on their property then they can't do much about the bees.  But if you don't see any reason that it would be a problem, then it would be good to talk to them anyway.  You don't have to tell them that the lavender is the reason that you are moving in....
Rick

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 03:30:02 pm »
I don't see why you would have to mention it to them at all, if its not on their property its really none of their business.
I would assume they would welcome pollinators on their land.
I believe the phrase is better to ask forgiveness later than permission now.

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:34:46 pm »
Neighborly thought, but ... Bees are wild creatures, and are not concerned by human political or private boundaries.  Other than that, if the location is public property, you can't place your hives there.  If the location belongs to someone else, pay them, take them a bottle of wine, give them a pie, or a jar of your honey.  Whatever, they see as fair!  If you're lucky, and it's your property, sit down and enjoy watching the bees fly off to the lavender while you enjoy that fat pocketbook, glass of wine, and piece of pie.

On the other hand, if lavender honey tastes anything like those sachet packets my mother used to put in her dainties drawer ... I think I'll stick with clover or buckwheat.

BB
Some days you just have to learn the hard way!

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:25:55 pm »
Bingo!!

I don't see why you would have to mention it to them at all, if its not on their property its really none of their business.
I would assume they would welcome pollinators on their land.
I believe the phrase is better to ask forgiveness later than permission now.