Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chicks with deformed legs  (Read 21314 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Chicks with deformed legs
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 12:15:26 am »
Brian, you still astound me with what you are up to, good for you, yea!!!!  Best of this  beautiful day, wonderful health wishes to us all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 01:09:21 am »
My Mom's Dad used to keep what we referred to as Homing pigeons. A few times I remember bringing some across the Lake Pontchartrain bridge and we would let them fly home. He would band the little ones legs. One night a coon got into the pen and that wasn't a pretty scene at all. My uncle wound up killing the coon. Those pigeons were really cool. I enjoyed them while he had them. They were handsome birds. I think common pigeons as we called them and still do give the racing pigeons and homing pigeons a bad rap.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 11:06:49 am »
JP, how cool.   I want to interest my Grandsons in keeping pigeons.  I really think it would be something that they would be interested in.  My Husband also kept pigeons when he was a child, (he is always a mystery to me).  After 27 years I still don't know all about him, he told me once that there would always be things that I didn't know about him.  And he is right.  So, he can help to bring a little expertise to these young lads, should they choose.  I think I would like to get the rollers that Brian was speaking about.  I have written down the actual name of them and I am sure I could find them in Canada.  The border doesn't allow cross country shipping of birds, nearly positive about that.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 11:44:27 am »
> After 27 years I still don't know all about him, he told me once that there would always be things that I didn't know about him.  And he is right. 

Its our job to keep things interesting, sometimes a mystery. He's doing a great job at that!

Good luck with the pigeons. Perhaps Brian could send you some via the airways. Sort of kidding sort of not, maybe that can happen, I don't know. Happy Turkduckin'.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 10:08:53 pm »
Hey Brian,
 Are you going to fly 15 birds to a  team? Thats what we did, old birds and young birds. Sometimes we would race 2 15 bird teams in a race. Dad has been racing pigeons since he was about 9 years old. He quit racing while he was doing his 29 years in the Air Force. In the last base housing unit we lived in(here at Sheppard) the base permitted him to build and maintain a small loft for pigeons. Dad raced out of that for about 2 years until we moved off base. Then we built a lot better, larger one! It was done before their house was even finished!
 The Air Forces decision to let dad have that little loft was really a surprise for most of the nabors. I think the fact that dad was ranking chief of the Air Force at that time had a lot to do with it, And also, just prior to getting here from Alaska, Dad had won something called a "Dedalion Award", an award(very prestigous) for being recognized as the # ONE supply organization in the entire Air Force. The AF had plans for dad to travel around the world (selling the AF to people who might enlist) for some more years before he retired. Dad retired from this house with the first loft to the house they still live in today. Dad realized,in 1975, after 29 years of service he had had enough.
 I'll tell you more later!
your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 11:53:44 pm »
I just collected a batch of eggs from the pigeon loft.  They are still mating up--I hope to have 7 pairs before Christmas.  I will let them keep any eggs that will have a 2008 hatch date for the young bird racesin early summer.  Out of the 7 pair I hope to have a 12-14 bird racing team.  Of the old birds I will be racing 9 stronge men under widowhood in the fall. 

My stock of birds have been raised with the goal of winning races in the 500-1500 mile distance.  They do okay at 100-500 miles but do much better at the longer distances--and to think the beginning of this line was just an old track (common) pigeon.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 12:18:34 am »
Brian, all I can say is, you are truly an amazing man.  Have a wonderful, great day, Cindi

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 03:12:33 am »
Your picture looks like either a Silver Favoral (sp) or either an Americanna or Aracanna which will lay either light blue to green eggs. I raise and breed poultry. And also grow heirloom veggies. I will be getting 2 hives here soon from a friend of my hubbys who was also one of his best men at our wedding in 99 and is also a co worker for firefighting. Here are the breeds I raise.

Cuckoo Maran (the chocolate egg layer) color is dark brown and breed from France
Standard Dark Cornish (meat type bird)
Royal Palm Turkeys
Black Mottled Turkeys
Coturnix Quail
Indian runner ducks in 3 different colors.

Leg and feet problems can also be a heat issue with in the incubator. For crooked toes and for splay legs there is an easy way to fix that from hatch. For splay legs you can take a rubber band and loosely put it around one leg and loop it around the other leg bring the 2 into a more normal position. Then every evening place the chick in a dixey cup to force the chick to keep its legs under it for about a week. This will and has worked. Now for crooked toes due to malposition in egg or prolonged hatch you can take a band aid and tape the foot and toes as streight as you can get them and tape over the top making sure all of the toes are aligned right. Make sure to keep the poo removed and it should be right after about 4 to 5 days.  Any other hatching or chicken questions shoot away. I am also a vet tech and have been around farm animals and stuff for over 30 years.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 09:41:08 am »
Angi, thank you for the information, you bring a wealth of it here and I am grateful for that.

We used to have Indian Runners, and Rouens.  We had two of each, they crossbred and brought some beautiful crosses to our yard.  The crosses had a specific name, Kahki Campbells, that was what a site on the internet indicated when these two breeds were crossed.

A nasty weasel got into our duck barn a couple of weeks ago and killed them all, including the Muscoveys (two adult Muscoveys survived).  The young Muscoveys (I think 8) were in with the chickens so they are alive and well, so neat.  I love ducks.  I don't know if you read my post about the death of these birds, that is why I mentioned it.

I love the Indian Runners and we will by all means get more.  They are the most interesting breed and I can't wait to get more.  I loved to watch them.  I love the sound that the male Runner made, you know that sound, he would never stop making his sounds when he was walking, leading his girls, he loved the Rouens as much as the Indian Runners, they were all the best of pals.

I used to love when they would all walk with their heads turned sidesways and pointed towards the earth.  No clue what that was all about, but it was the funniest noise they would make when they would do this.  It was like they were pointing out something to each other. 

Angi, do you know why the ducks do this head sideways pointy thing?  So curious about things I am, and curiosity never got this cat.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, glad you are here.  Cindi

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 12:35:16 am »
If you notice the female will do that when they are next to the male. That is her submissave dance. Meaning hey I am ready here I am. Oh ya and the male wimpy quack. The females have such a loud quack compared to the males. When the females are ready and want to breed when they walk up to the male they do there little quack talk and bow there head and tip it up and down talking to him. Kinda like a greeting. Runners are very fun to watch and have. And great for free ranging as since they dont fly they are great. I have Fawn and white, Fawn in with a blue Fawn Drake and Fairy Fawn in with a White Draks right now. I show them as well and I get best Breed, Reserve Breed, Best light breed Duck, Reserve light breed duck, And 1St and 1 second. Fairy fawn is not a reconized color as of yet. I sale hatching eggs and that is what helps keep the feed bill at bay. I will also be raising my Royal Palm and Black Mottled Turkeys both Hearitage Breeds to sale this spring and raise for T day and Christmas.

Angi
Nice to meet another Poultry lover,

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 10:21:01 am »
Angi, come to speak of it, I had noticed that sometimes the females would do this funny sideways head thing and then the male would be attracted to them  ;) :) and give them some attention.  It was interesting.

One of the things (actually really more interesting that watching the bees) that I find fascinating, is the antics of the chickenyard critters.  There is never a dull moment, always something going on.  I can spend alot of time sitting on my milk carton, watching them, I really need to get a more comfortable apparatus out there for sitting, really, don't know why I haven't, just a little procrastination I guess.

The Indian Runners and Roeuns were my pride and joy.  I loved them to pieces, I just wish that they would have become friendly, like the beautiful Muscoveys who love to visit with you.  These other two species just didn't want any human contact and would always go away, really fast.  I have so much to learn about chicken yard critters. I didn't realize that Runners came in different colours than black, so much to learn.  I think that I would love to have some different ones, other than black too.  (Maybe I will have to increase the size of the yards, I have 5 acres, so space is not an issue).  We have movable fences that we change the shape of the yards every now and then, and then if we want them larger, we just add more wire and posts.

I have a picture of these that I will show you.  We will get more this spring too, I like them, and I love the quacking noises that the females do, it sounds like a funny laugh that I remember from a cartoon show as a child. 

The Indian Runner male crossed with the Rouens as well, which made some pretty looking progeny.

In this picture you will see the male and female Runner on the left, the group of older babies in the centre and the two female Rouens on the far right.  This was a beautiful flock of birds.  But we will have them again, that is one of my biggest quests of chickenyard replacement birds, yea!!!!!  Beautiful day, love our life we live.  Cindi

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 01:44:42 am »
those runners look like they are crossed with something as they are heavy as well as do not stand up right like they should. If I could attach a picture I would show you what I mean.  Indian runners are very thin and walk upright. They so not fly and do not waddle. It is really hard to explain with out you being able to see a picture. Now I am not trying to make you upset. What I am saying is I just dont think they were pure.  Go to feathersite dot com here is the wording just take out the spaces you will see what I mean
http : // feathersite. com/ Poultry/ Ducks /Runners /BRKRunners. html

I have fawn and white which on there it is called Penciled. I have one drake and 4 hens My drake and one of his daughters are always getting Best Breed and Reserve breed and Best Light breed duck and reserve light breed duck When one wins best the other brings home reserve. I wish you did not live in Canada otherwise I would send you some hatching eggs. It is a long process with alot of paperwork to send even hatching eggs there. I also have Fawn (buff on there) hens 2 in with a Blue Fawn Drake. I have one very nice Show Quality White drake that is in with all of my Fairy Fawn hens they look like the gray or trout hens on there. Look all over that sight it will have you drooling over all sorts of breeds.  As soon as I can post some pictures I will show you some of my best birds. My quail are now laying and I am getting 20 eggs a day from them. If you email me I can share that way as well. I am also very much into Conservation and education toward conservation for wildlife. I am a member of Wildlife Warriors and Steve Irwin was and still is my Hero. He is truely missed. My heart still aches because he is gone. He did more in his one life time for conservation and wildlife education for our mother earth that anyone could have ever thought. He has bought millions of acres around the world for conservation efforts. Sorry to get off and write a novel I do that when I start talking about things I am passionate about.

Angi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 12:19:31 pm »
If you decide to bite the bullit and get some pigeons can I suggest Black Country Rollers (aka Birmingham Rollers).  These little acrobats tumble from 100s of feet in the air and occassionally hit the ground. They get up a bit grogy, shake their heads, take to the air again and do it all over, and over, and over.  You will definitely be delighted watching these ball of feathers cartwheel head over heels for a few flips to 50 or more. 

A friend has some rollers that someone gave him when their spouse died. Living close by his house are five nesting pairs of peregrine falcons on the bridges between NJ and philadelphia. Seems this rolling acts as trigger for the falcons and they are decimating his flock .
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 04:34:59 pm »
I incubated  quails and some got twisted legs if incubator did not have air mixer.
Same happened when my friend incubated duck eggs.
Temperature is uneven in the apparatus. And I thought that  it was too cold in some corners, but Michaels says too high.

But when you mix the air, thermostate works well and the temp is even in every place. 

Those quails were the most stupid creatures I have ever met.

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 12:49:26 am »
Nice looking male coturnix quail.  It is all in how they are housed and how many times they have been inter breed on how dumb they are. Most people say turkeys are dumb but they are not they are actually smarter then you think. My quail love the dust boxes and when I change from nice soft dirt to sand they will have nothing to do with it and they scream at me till I dump it and change it to dirt. I had wanted to try sand to keep the dust down out of there water and feed but they would have nothing to do with it. I also know when they are out of water as it is the pitch in there yells that tells me same as when they are out of feed. Some are smart and will come up to me and want to sit on my lap and others just flutter about trying to escape. I have the reg coturnix with a few Texas A&M and a few tuxedo in there. With some Jumbo which lay a huge egg. I have my favs for birds though that is my Cuckoo Marans and my Turkeys. My Royal Palms will jump into my lap and sit and sleep. You could say they are spoiled. They also want to know what it is I am doing at all times. If they can not see me they are up on top of there dog house looking over the wall to see what I am up to and see who is getting what treats that they arnt. They are very silly. Now if I could just get my Bees I would be happy. I am tired of waiting. I want a home grown honey and butter bisquits for breakfast.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 09:39:10 am »
Angi, I love you posts by the way, interesting, and I love to hear what you are up to.

You are probably right about the runners being crosses.  I have no clue.  I will look at the site that you put in your post later, I have saved it and really want to have a look.

When we got the runners last year from the auction, they called them Indian Runners.  We at the same time got the Rouens.  The picture you see had the mother and father Indian Runners and the mother Rouens in it.  They cross bred and came up with the funny looking runners.  They were such interesting birds.  I am very excited about getting some more, it would be really nice to have pure breds though.  I honestly didn't realize that they may have been crosses, just no clue.  But that is cool and great to know. 

I am sure that there are Canadian hatcheries that would carry the breeds of birds that I would really like to get this year, so that is part of my agenda for this wintertime hibernation (hee, hee).

Angi, keep telling your new forum friends of the events of your life, you are a good writer and have interesting things to say, yea!!!!  Have a wonderful and great day, loving my life I live.  Cindi

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2007, 01:36:41 am »
There are a couple of people from Canada in several of our chicken forums and I will ask them to send me what hatcheries are near there.  some people say sending eggs to Canada is not big deal but when I tried they got stopped because of a wrong paper something like that lol. There are several that I know of up there I will ask and get back to you. Once I can start posting pictures I will show you all some of my stock. I am going to a poultry show From Jan 11 to 13th in Stockton. It would be that same weekend/week as the big Bee show in Sacramento. I would have love to have gone to that. Money is a little tight right now and if it wasent for me having things I sold for that show I wouldnt go. But then again this is one of the bigest poultry shows in the West and the best of the best will be there. I just need to watch the money and what I buy up there. lol I could say I am poultry poor right now. I am getting 2 Welsimers shipped to me on MOnday that I won in a contest. I have one hen now so that will be nice that will make another Breed I will be able to make money with. I will have 3 hens and 1 rooster. The roosters are mean SOBs though not like my Cuckoo Marans now those are gentle giants. And nice dark eggs. The darkest eggs ever out there. Some hens lay almost a black egg. When they are done with there winter break I will post pictures of how dark the eggs are you would be amaized of how dark they are. I sold one dressed out home grown turkey that dressed out at 30 lbs. The lady loved it and has booked one for next year. ONly these will be smaller are there Heartage birds. She says she dont care as they dont like to shop at grocery stores and only buy through CSA. Community Supported Ag. I have her subsribing to my farm as well as about a group of 5 ladys that live up the hill and one will meet me in Fresno 1x a week to pick up for the group. ONe of the ladys is wanting Local Honey for her boys that suffer from asthma and adhd. she also wants Bee Pollen for them to try to get there health better. As a matter of fact I am taking her 9 doz quail eggs tomorrow and a doz Duck eggs. I get 5.00 a doz fo Duck eggs and 4.00 a doz for chicken eggs and 1.50 for a doz quail eggs.

Angi

I want my BEEEEEEESSSSS
I forgot to call the guy tonight.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2007, 10:21:38 am »
Angi, thank you, I would appreciate your finding out about Canadian breeders for me, I look forward to that response.

You will get your bees, be patient, that is hard to do when one gets antsy, but all good things take time, I am a firm believer in that.  Beautiful day, great life.  Cindi