Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: tetradium/Korean evodia/Bee bee tree seeds  (Read 15953 times)

Offline minz

• House Bee
Re: tetradium/Korean evodia/Bee bee tree seeds
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 09:56:32 pm »
Hawthorns are a beautiful fall color tree (start with yellows and slowly go to red).  But.. they have taken over, naturalizing all through the hedge.
Bud, are you saying that I can graft pear to them? Are you a bud grafter (thus the name)?  I put about 8 bud grafts on my espaliers this fall and am waiting to see the results.  I also did standard grafts to several other trees and only got one of 5 to take. 

Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 09:30:33 pm »
Thanks Jean-Claude.  I got my seeds in the mail yesterday.  That was a very kind gesture, and it is very much appreciated.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 12:53:22 pm »
All distributed. i ran out. Now it is your turn to grow and distribute them seeds in 5-6 years.
i read that the saplings need 2 years protected growth - in pot? - before planting them in ground. That was only one source. Someone at the Arnold Arboretum will start some and let me know which way is best since i am still trying to figure it out.
Stratification (cold treatment) is necessary, all agree on that. But my trial on Fall outdoor pots have failed. Fridge is a better bet.
Another thing i noticed is that once the sapling is growing, it does not like being waterlogged. It may like constant water for sprouting but like it on a slightly drier side later on. Not bone dry either.
Good luck to all,

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 01:06:14 pm »
That is what I have found, except being in zone 7, they do well in the ground the second year. Also, the ones I have within 50 feet of a pond or creek grow at twice the speed of the ones high on the hill.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 07:58:31 pm »
I have no idea how many you sent but I put about 60 in a tray out in the rain (and a little snow today) the bulk (yes more than the 60) I put in the refrigerator.  Time will tell, thanks for the opportunity!

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 08:17:51 am »
seeds came   thanks
to bee or not to bee

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 11:57:53 pm »
Pulled a heavy coat out of the closet that I have not used since last winter and found the envelope of seeds and there area few left. I put them in the fridge. I will try planting them in a month.
Thanks again.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 11:18:14 am »
mintz  nope on the bud   i just look around my place and anything growing wild like persimon, pears pecan oaks, just whack them off and stick a cultivar on and tape them up.
to bee or not to bee

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 12:03:31 pm »
question about seed: have had seeds in freezer for about 6 months. have tried to plant seeds in the past with no luck. so I've put seeds in wet napkin into freezer bag into refreg. and will take out on Feb. 1st.and try again. now to the question: after taking seeds out of freezer how soon can I try to plant a few in pots and keep in house until Spring? Instructions and info are appreciated. Pembroke

Offline Lonestarpearl

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »
Does anyone know if these trees can take the kind of hot summers Texas has to offer?   We want to plant more flowering trees (already have planted dessert willows and vitex, and native mesquites are everywhere) and need to know if the Bee bee tree will make it here before purchasing.  Thanks! 

Offline housebee

• Brood
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 10:34:37 pm »
does any one know if pecans are good for bees for nectar or pollen? :? and also if anyone knows where these trees are sold or if anyone has seeds just let me know.  thanks so much.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 11:04:59 pm »
does any one know if pecans are good for bees for nectar or pollen? :? and also if anyone knows where these trees are sold or if anyone has seeds just let me know.  thanks so much.
They are sold at Ace Hardware here in the spring. Not sure if bees are the main pollinator.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 01:02:25 am »
Scarification is probly necessary. Use of a file to nick the seed coat or use of acid on seeds are both easy.  Germinate in wet paper towel in spring.  If anyone is wondering about trees for Texas then look at soapberry trees.  Native and the bees cant stay off them! I'll gather seed next year to give out.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 09:41:24 pm »
Scarification is probly necessary. Use of a file to nick the seed coat or use of acid on seeds are both easy.  Germinate in wet paper towel in spring.  If anyone is wondering about trees for Texas then look at soapberry trees.  Native and the bees cant stay off them! I'll gather seed next year to give out.

I love to try some. Have never heard of soapberry? I do have lots of kudzu vines  ;) but can't give them away. we now have a kudzu bug that loves to eat it. great but man they are worse than ladybugs. plus if you hit them they smell worse that stinkbugs. (can't win for losing)

John

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 09:38:00 am »
Is the concensus the process is 30days in the fridge then soak seed for 24hrs then plant 1/4-1/2" deep in protected pot(s)? I had planted 75 seeds in 20oz cups w/BXProMix w/saran wrap over the cup and placed under florescent lights 7x24 for 30days and that did not work out. Thanks
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 02:09:37 am »
ScooterTrash - don't give up.  I did the same as you, except in a flat all together.  Forgot about them after giving up, they REALLY dried out, I started watering them again when I remembered them a couple of months later, and - BOOM - baby trees everywhere.  Let yours dry out and try again in a month or so - what have you got to lose?

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 12:09:36 am »
Did anyone else get your seeds planted? Also curious about your scarification methods?
Did anyone try Byrons World Famous Tea potion from Robo's site?

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 09:39:26 pm »
I just put mine out in a flat in the garden.  A row came up but something took them down.  I put them under the eves and have about a dozen up about a ½”.  In a bit I will plant the ones in the refrigerator and see which do better.

Offline gailmo

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 10:31:00 pm »
I put mine in warm water in a cup and left them there for 24 hours.  Then I mixed the soaked seeds in some planting mix, put it in a small zip bag and stuck it in my refrigerator for 100 days.  Just pulled them out a few days ago.  I dampened the seeds a bit (still in the potting mix) and put them on a tray--covered by plastic.  Everything went under my grow lights (actually shop lights) in the basement.  If they sprout, I am going to stick the sprouts in small individual pots and move them outside once it warms up.

I also did the same thing with some Japanese Maple seeds.  So hopefully everything will work out and I will have a ton of little trees soon!