Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Harvest Day...Beware of the Pissy Bee's...  (Read 11239 times)

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Harvest Day...Beware of the Pissy Bee's...
« on: September 21, 2008, 12:16:48 pm »
Went out yesterday to harvest 4 remote hives and was very suprised. These girls had been left alone since spring and were packed...I MEAN PACKED!! 1 colony had 2 supers and a deep FULL to the brim with honey!!! OMG...were they mean! My mentor was directing as I shifted frames, adding drawn comb frames we extracted last week and setting up for winter. Fed all of them except last hive.

To say the VERY least, they were angry...to date I have NEVER been mobbed like this before, 60% of the hive was defending, all of us were covered in angry Bee's. My girl ended up 100' away after been stung numerous times, even my Mentor was retreating as I was the only one with a full suit. I was hit 15 times thru my gloves and at the ankles where I was not completly covered. That was the FIRST hive...
The last hive we entered ( At DUSK) was so hot we gave up, they were just too disturbed. Better to fight that battle another day.

We ended up with 6 full shallows and 1 deep stocked full. To cool to extract so we called it a night.

Word of warning to all fellow ROOKIES   " NEVER EVER EVER walk towards your friends who are not covered up while working a hive in the fall. My lady got BLASTED by the mob which was after me nearly 70' away from the hive." She must have elbowed me 3 times on the way home for being so...ah...short sighted?...can you say STUPID!

So much to learn yet...hope you all get a good laugh...we did.
Even my Mentor was shocked by the level of defence these girl had..they match The Green Bay Packers!!!

Well, thats all for now...going to go see if she will talk to me yet....doubtful as her head still hurts from the numerous stings...
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Re: Harvest Day...Beware of the Pissy Bee's...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 01:24:01 pm »
Might be you have something more than harvest defense going on there.  My bees don't seem any more or less defensive when I remove supers than when I do an inspection.

It is amazing how easily they can get you through gloves when they really want to, isn't it?

Offline Hillbillenigma

• New Bee
    • Centsible Sounds
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 06:18:33 pm »
Thanks for that report...  :'(  makes us other newbees really look forward to Harvesting.   :-D

Based on my 6 weeks of reading experience  ;)   I too would think that maybe something else was in motion.  Did your Mentor say anything about the over the top aggression?   Did he recognize anything out of the ordinary during his short time helping you?

I hand't thought of the "do not walk toward" your unsuited helper straight from the Hive.  That is funny (from this perspective) but also a good thing to remember! 
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan 1985

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:49:54 pm »
Time of day is sometimes a factor --- you mentioned dusk.
John 3:16

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:59:31 pm »
It was WAY too late to be in those hives. We got a late start. All the foragers were in there.

I went to feed mine this morning, they acted the same way, very aggressive. I did'nt even bother opening my big hive.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:09:11 pm »
Mine are alot more agressive now too. I'm fixin to go in the hives and get more honey before it gets too cool.
Thats funny though about not running towards anybody!!!
 My buddy Paul is always crying about how when the bees come after me I always run toward him!!!..He's always yelling,"DONT BE RUNNING THIS WAY!!!"
 I do this intentionally to get the bees attention drawn toward Paul! :evil:
 He's always suited up though and I'm not...Its not like I'm being mean...Its more like "self preservation at someone elses expense"!
 One way or another, Paul will get back at me! :-D

your friend,
john

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 10:20:59 am »
Went out yesterday to harvest 4 remote hives and was very suprised. These girls had been left alone since spring and were packed...I MEAN PACKED!! 1 colony had 2 supers and a deep FULL to the brim with honey!!! OMG...were they mean! My mentor was directing as I shifted frames, adding drawn comb frames we extracted last week and setting up for winter. Fed all of them except last hive.

To say the VERY least, they were pee'd...to date I have NEVER been mobbed like this before, 60% of the hive was defending, all of us were covered in angry Bee's. My girl ended up 100' away after been stung numerous times, even my Mentor was retreating as I was the only one with a full suit. I was hit 15 times thru my gloves and at the ankles where I was not completly covered. That was the FIRST hive...
The last hive we entered ( At DUSK) was so hot we gave up, they were just too disturbed. Better to fight that battle another day.

We ended up with 6 full shallows and 1 deep stocked full. To cool to extract so we called it a night.

Word of warning to all fellow ROOKIES   " NEVER EVER EVER walk towards your friends who are not covered up while working a hive in the fall. My lady got BLASTED by the mob which was after me nearly 70' away from the hive." She must have elbowed me 3 times on the way home for being so...ah...short sighted?...can you say STUPID!

So much to learn yet...hope you all get a good laugh...we did.
Even my Mentor was shocked by the level of defence these girl had..they match The Green Bay Packers!!!

Well, thats all for now...going to go see if she will talk to me yet....doubtful as her head still hurts from the numerous stings...
Green bay didn't look to mean yesterday :-D Maybe it was the time of day or they were honey bound and the queen split to find a place to lay her egg's and they were queenless
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:15:12 am »
Hey Now!!!!     :-x   This is being posted by the victim of "post traumatic undressed disorder", Mark's lady(house mouse).

I love my packers!!!!! We're currently number 1 in our division so.............   :-P.  just kidding.

BTW, I'm speaking to him again things like, "Don't even think of walking towards me!!!"     :-D

Becky

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 11:51:38 am »
Green Bay is a good team and I hope your head is ok :-D

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 03:01:28 pm »
HER HEAD!!!!????

Crikey..what about MY RIBS??????

All is well...

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 08:54:41 am »
Sorry but that would have been real funny to see :-D

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 09:04:37 am »
WHICH PART????? 
roflmao................

Mark

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 09:36:14 am »
 All of it :-D You must have a great wife to help you with your bee's my wife just stands back out of reach and laughs when I get stung.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 10:03:49 am »
This post is by Becky.

I am fascinated with the little creatures.  Not long after he brought home his first colony, I became almost obsessed with finding information on the internet.  There is just so much to learn.

Another personal point is that MS is pretty prevelant in my family.  My aunt swore by the beesting therapy.  I have not went that route as my MS is under control for the most part.

As long as Mark shows appreciation (ie., rubbing my feet and/or back, dousing me with compliments, groveling when he gets me stung), I will be right by his side.   :-D

On a serious note, I don't look at it as helping Mark.  We're working together to do our part for the honeybee.

Perhaps you may try rubbing your wife's feet.   ;)

Becky

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 10:17:02 am »
I do Becky she just is afraid to get stung like allot of people. And mark is a lucky man :-D to have a partner like you.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 10:29:38 am »
This post is by Becky.

Awwwww......... I'm blushing.  Actually, we're lucky to have each other.

Do you have a beesuit for your wife?  Perhaps that might alleviate some of her fears.  Mark took me with him to meet several of the local beeks.  In doing so, my interest was peeked by the things I learned from them. 

Becky

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 11:03:16 am »
Nope she said that she wouldn't use it enough to justify buying it.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 12:05:43 pm »
This post is by Becky.

There are lots of things I like doing to help Mark, even if it doesn't involve going out with him to the beeyard.  I help make the syrup, labels for his honey bottles, biz cards, and other "admin type" stuff.

On another note, we have that nasty nor'easter that just blew threw last nite.  Mark just got done talking about going out to feed the girls and how pissy they were going to be because of the pressure.  And he wanted help from me.   Ummmm...... me thinks not.

Becky

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 08:52:04 pm »
This post is by Becky.

PISSY BEE UPDATE:

Remember Mark told me earlier that he wanted help with his bees today after telling me with the pressure system in the area, the bees wud be awfully pissy.

Guess what??????   They were.  I sat in the truck, rolled up my window, watched him walk to the hives, pull of the first top cover and then the inner cover.

BAM!!!!!!!!!!

Mark came fleeing to the truck, while screaming in terror.  "OH ****, They're pee'd."  Of course, this is all I heard, because the rest was spewing out his mouth as he went slapping his head and running further from the hives, w/o veil.  The good news is, after I don't know, 3, 4, 10 attempts, he got the feeder and the cover back on and only ran away a few more half dozen times. He he.  Mark shud really be careful around those pissy bees!

Becky

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 09:35:04 pm »
Thats the way to make a news report about mark and his bees!!!!
(Sorry Mark, but Thats hilarious!)..Hey Becky, did you have the truck doors locked? :-D
 I cant stop laffing!!!!! :-D :-D
 It sounds like we both have the same teachers at how to deal with bees!
 I'm always running and swatting recently!!!
 When I run, EVERYBODY runs!

The dogs really haul butt out of the way! They run with their tails tucked!!!..(WEll, except for Tank...he doesnt have a tail :) )
 I even saw my nabors watching me yesterday....watching.... laffing,...then Running for cover, just in case!!
 After I lit the smoker though everything pretty much cooled down....No jacket,...no veil.........and, of course, no common sense!
 It sounds to me as if Mark has become a master beekeeper overnite! Swatting and running are what I see all the experts do down around where I live!
 Thanx for the story!

your friend,
john

anything