Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Memorial Day cut out!  (Read 2139 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Memorial Day cut out!
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:59:44 pm »
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa190/Drew454/5-28-12%20cut%20out/  When I was done the hive wasn't acting correctly, indicating I didn't have the queen.  Considering my next move I grabbed some green weeds to refill my smoker.  Bees flew up when I pulled the weeds out of the ground.  Sitting deep in the weeds was a clump of bees on the ground the size of a grapefruit.  I smoked them to see if the queen was hiding in there.  As they ran and flew from the smoke, there was the queen a little slower than the others.  I grabbed her, caged her and put her in the hive.  They calmed down and began marching into the hive as is normal.  I picked up the hive this morning and brought it home.  Overall it took 5 hours to remove this hive.  There was about 100 pounds of honey in this hive.  Great day and this was the first time I done a hive extraction without suiting up.  Wouldn't have dreamed of it until I watched JP, Shawee, Hardwood, and others do it in on their videos.  Thanks for the videos!
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Memorial Day cut out!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »
That looked like a fun one! It's a lot cooler and easier to see without all the gear on eh? Not that I don't ever have to suit up, just prefer not to if it's not needed.

Good job!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:28:37 pm »
I see now how your are, pass me the ones that are 20' & 30' in the air where I have to hang on with my butt cheeks and take the easy cream jobs for yourself.  :-D

Love those great honey finds, good pictures.

Good looking boy, can't believe you can get by wearing a wedding ring working bees.  :jawdrop:   

I owe you a couple, I've got one in Freeman you don't even need a ladder for, if you would like it? Does have vinyl siding to remove and put back, but pays well.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:08:51 pm »
Dang straight.  I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I aint the rustiest.  Had to laugh at the butt cheek visual.  All jokes aside this one lined up nicely, it was 10 minutes away from home, via hive traffic it appeared to be smaller that it was, and I knew I could do it on Memorial Day.  I'm now out of equipment (I'll be putting a couple deeps together to relieve some nuc overcrowding), I've got Boy Scout camp for a week, then a weeks vacation on the Outer Banks, NC. (YEA!), followed by a 3 day salesmeeting and 12AA baseball tournaments sprinkled in there for good measure.  I'm basically out of commission until July and while I'm good at controlled destruction, repairs are not in my wheelhouse.

I forgot to take off the wedding ring.  Had I gotten stung on that finger it (or Megan Fox showed up at an extraction...:roll:) would have been off in a flash.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...