Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Utah  (Read 3006 times)

Offline hendro

• New Bee
Hello from Utah
« on: February 19, 2011, 01:17:25 pm »
Just found this forum and thought I'd join and hope it's as enjoyable as other forums for other hobbies I visit.  Last year was my first year as a beekeeper. Spent a lot of money, collected a lot of honey and had a lot of fun.  I only had one hive last year and gathered about 80lbs of honey.  I left about 120lbs in the hive so my girls were busy.   The hive were Hygenics and I plan to split them this year, and add a hive of Carneolans.  I thought I'd give them a shot.  Maybe add Italians next year.  I have the hive in my back yard.  All my neighbors have gardens so they are happy someone nearby has bees.  Some of my neighbors now want hives in their yards so have room for expansion.  They like that I share some of the honey too.

Anyway, hi to all.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from Utah
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:34:23 pm »

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:07:28 pm »
Hello and welcome.

.... gathered about 80lbs of honey.  I left about 120lbs in the hive
This is my first year and I can only hope I can get that much my first year.
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:23:39 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hendro

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:37:52 pm »
Hello and welcome.

.... gathered about 80lbs of honey.  I left about 120lbs in the hive
This is my first year and I can only hope I can get that much my first year.
Because this was my first winter I wasn't sure what to expect, so I was over cautious and left 2 supers full of honey on my hive.  I didn't want to loss my bees for lack of food and I didn't really need the honey.  Just took a quick peek under the hood of my hive.  I can see that the bees have not made it up to the top super, so it looks like I may end up having an early harvest.  I get about 30lbs per super.  I can't tell if they have made it to the bottom super, so who knows.
Anyway, thanks everyone.  Good to "bee" here!  :-D

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 02:13:07 pm »
Don't be in a hurry to harvest that left over honey. More starvation happens in early to mid spring as brood raising ramps up and nectar flows are slow to start. Not to mention bouts of bad weather during times of early flows.
Great to hear you had such a stellar first year though! :)

Offline hendro

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 10:54:31 pm »
Thanks Buzzbee.  You are right, I'm in no hurry and I'm still enjoying the sweet taste of success from last years batch.  The weather is still below 50 here and the bees are still snug in their hive.  I took a peek on a warmer day just to make sure there was still honey for them.  I won't yank any excess honey until I am ready to feed them and I know that the weather is going to stay consistently above 50 degrees.  Thanks for your concern.  Last year about this time I remember beekeepers complaining about a dead hive because they didn't leave enough honey and got to feeding them too late.  After harvesting 80 lbs of honey, I just didn't need any more so I played it safe.  No time to get greedy now.

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 11:44:11 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  I second the leaving the honey on a little longer.  I went to college in Utah.  Out there you have 2 seasons, Winter and the 4th of July! ;)  My graduation from SUU was on June 2nd.  On June 1st I woke up to 4" of SNOW!  Graduation was outisde the next day! :shock:  Beautiful country out there but after that, my favorite view was the one in my rear-view mirror when I was leaving.  It was 80 degrees here today--eat yer heart out! 8-)

Kelly
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 10:31:34 am »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 12:26:35 am »
Hello from Idaho. When I need a really specialty tool, I go down to SLC Utah. Otherwise, I stay the heck out of there! It's almost like going to L.A. these days. I get homicidal in heavy traffic. If your ever up this way, give me a holler.
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline hendro

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 08:58:39 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  I second the leaving the honey on a little longer.  I went to college in Utah.  Out there you have 2 seasons, Winter and the 4th of July! ;)  My graduation from SUU was on June 2nd.  On June 1st I woke up to 4" of SNOW!  Graduation was outisde the next day! :shock:  Beautiful country out there but after that, my favorite view was the one in my rear-view mirror when I was leaving.  It was 80 degrees here today--eat yer heart out! 8-)

Kelly
LOL! Yes, we have a saying here un Utah.  "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes."  No doubt the weather can change rather quickly here.  Love the mountains here, but the inversions in the winter will have me moving once I retire.  Not sure what I will do with my bees then, probably move them during the winter or I'll sell them and start new someplace else.  Got time for that.  My daughter went to SUU back in the 90's.  Not sure when she left.  I won't remove any honey until the weather is more consistently above 50 degrees and I'm ready to start feeding them.  At this point I wish they would just eat it all up.  Trying to extract honey and start up 2 more hives is more than I want to takle to tell you the truth.

Offline hendro

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 09:02:55 pm »
Hello from Idaho. When I need a really specialty tool, I go down to SLC Utah. Otherwise, I stay the heck out of there! It's almost like going to L.A. these days. I get homicidal in heavy traffic. If your ever up this way, give me a holler.
Hello Humanbeeing! Yeah, spent a winter up in Rexburg.  If the wind doesn't get you the bone chill will. Ha!  Having grown up outside of Washington, DC and living in Boston for 6 years, the traffic here in Salt Lake is a piece of cake.  What kills me is the inversions.  I fear the winters not for the snow or cold, but for the smog that gets trapped in here.  I swear it will put me in the ground before my time.  So enjoy Idaho fresh air while you can.

anything