Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anything after goldenrod  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Orlando

• House Bee
Anything after goldenrod
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:24:39 pm »
Hello....lower hudson valley NY here... Are there any flowers that the bees can work after the goldenrod flow?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Anything after goldenrod
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:40:50 pm »
Hello....lower hudson valley NY here... Are there any flowers that the bees can work after the goldenrod flow?

None in New England that I know of  :roll:
Maybe someone can educate differently lee.If you'd know of anything I would like to see some evidence  ;) and I will thank you in advance

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:52:44 pm »
You guys don't have aster out that's way? Goldenrod is burnt out but my bees are still working the aster.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:53:40 pm »
I'm in a different climate, but bees have just started working English Ivy.  I understand this is a very late flow in Europe as well.

It makes terrible, terrible honey, so use to backfill the brood nest. It is pretty productive, though the yellow jackets like to work it as well.

Not that common to see both yellow jackets and bees working the same bloom -- I have late fennel/ainse which the YJ work but the bees won't touch.

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 10:13:01 pm »
Bees are still on Asters here in central NH.

Offline Orlando

• House Bee
Re: Re: Anything after goldenrod
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 10:51:52 pm »
We still have a little goldenrod and aster left but I cant imagine for much longer. Temps are 70s day and 40s night

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 11:50:18 pm »
Snow crocus in about 5 months. :-D

Actually the last flowers my bees work are Dahlias (for the pollen).  They work those Dahlias like kids in a candy store after everything else is dead or done.  Another good reason for planting some Dahlias.  The Dahlia flowers don’t normally get toasted until we get a hard frost.     

Asters are still going here in MI.  Looks like at least another good week of weather here.  X:X

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 08:03:31 am »
We've had a bumper crop of asters this year and there still going strong in my neck of the woods.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:41:16 pm »
there's a little bit of goldenrod still around but it must be done cuz' i'm not seeing any bees working it. i am seeing them on my cosmos, mooflowers ( datura ), & my neighbor's mums ( asters ). i've just started feeding.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 07:48:53 pm »
Goldenrod has been done for about 3 weeks, Asters are nearly done, but our garden is still getting plenty of company. 

One plant in particular is a Purple Mallow (an annual, looks like a small holly hock, produces loads of seeds) that we planted many years ago and it still leaves us volunteers all over the garden every year, very frost hardy, as are a few hybrid asters, also cosmos, dahlias and Desdemona's  are still getting lots of attention from my bees. 

There's Not anything blooming in the woods around that I know of.  We've had several frosts already, a couple were enough to kill most garden forage.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 09:28:21 pm »
Maples bloom out after the goldenrods here.   But that is a few months after the goldenrods are long dead.   

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 09:46:46 pm »
Chicory will bloom until a really hard freeze...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 11:32:06 pm »
I second TBeek on the cosmos.  They are also a favorite at the very end of the season.