Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to boost nucs for winter  (Read 7808 times)

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
Re: How to boost nucs for winter
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 09:16:13 am »
Thank you for all the info.  2 of the nucs lost queens somehow :(  Maybe they will make themselves another queen.  Have a great day!

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 03:36:41 pm »
Thank you for all the info.  2 of the nucs lost queens somehow :(  Maybe they will make themselves another queen.  Have a great day!

Seems like a great reason to combine. Reduce to two larger colonies to safely winter, then split in spring for the same result. No guarantees, but seems less risky to me.

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 05:58:04 pm »
Combine to one of the larger hives, then split in spring?  Use the old newspaper between hives trick?  Really want a lot of hives but no queen.  Maybe take brood from strong hive and they might make queen in 13 days?  Still not sure what to do.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 06:34:32 pm »
  Maybe take brood from strong hive and they might make queen in 13 days? 

It will take up to 2 more weeks for her to start laying,  so you are looking at close to 2 months before any new bees will be born.  Is the hive population capable of that?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »
Just checked and with the frame of new brood they have a queen cell tonight on it!  Hopefully that will help them.  There are 3 frames of bees, it is a 5 frame nuc box.  Tommorrow I will work on the other nuc and see what they are up to.  Do you think that they will have enough time in central NY to build up with a new queen.  I will make sure that they will have 3 frames of honey.