Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: tropical beekeeping calendar  (Read 5775 times)

Offline DocBB

• New Bee
tropical beekeeping calendar
« on: September 18, 2010, 09:07:14 am »
Hello

I'm from St Denis in Reunion Island (21° south) and I like ti find a tropical beekeeping calendar, I was looking it for a while without chance by now
Could anybody help me?

Thanks by advance

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
Re: tropical beekeeping calendar
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:37:03 am »
Hello.
Just looked you up on a map. Off the east coast of Africa - nice.

I'm at 29° south with good forage and rain. Here, it's spring, the bees are swarming.

I suppose you could look for seasonal beekeeping information from other people at the same latitude - maybe southern Africa. Are your bees Africanized? Are they Apis mellifera or other tropical bees?
The timing in your own location will depend on the plants and the weather patterns as well as temperature.

Best thing of course is to talk to beekeepers in your area. Good luck.

..I read your introduction post also.
Specifically what are you trying to find out?
Also, what bee pests and diseases are common in your area?

Offline DocBB

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:12:26 am »
Thanks but  South Africa is far too South, we are in a tropical climate  : "summer" hot and wet and tropical storms, "winter" cold (12°C at night), windy (trade winds) no real spring neither autumn, neither the queens never stop to lay.

and Ican't find no references upon an adpated calendar

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:23:55 am »
How many other beekeepers are on your island?   I wonder if there is a beekeeper's association? If not, maybe one should start up.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:49:15 pm »
Bonjour Monsieur, comment allez-vous?

It sounds like you might have to be a bit of an explorer - the best way to set up a calendar is to do regular inspections and maintain a notebook - it will take time but it's a great way to learn about your bees and beekeeping on Reunion in general. As AllenF mentioned if there isn't a beekeeping society on Reunion it might be a great opportunity for you to get a group of like minded individuals together...

This monsieur might be a good place to start Francois Payet - Beekeeper - Le Tampon Region

Hello

I'm from St Denis in Reunion Island (21° south) and I like ti find a tropical beekeeping calendar, I was looking it for a while without chance by now
Could anybody help me?

Thanks by advance

Offline DocBB

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:15:58 am »
Well they are a lot of beekeepers on the Island
But I'm looking is some references on the calendar or tropical beekeeping.
As you know all, you usually get at last two advices from one beekeeper and a lot of magical/mystical/lunar thoughts about the way to keep the girls.

As I'am a surgeon and do not have so much time to walkaround;  I do not have so much beekeepers in my aera: due to road congestion it could take 4 hours just staying  in the car to go and come back from Monsieur Payet (60 miles away from me) and only a few from them are on the net.

It's  thus by far more convenient to read a book or my computer at home or at theater between patients than to evaporate fuel on the road

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:48:14 am »
I've found the most useful thing for me has been learning through inspecting - you quickly learn what your bees are doing and you can tell when there isn't a flow on - i've started my own calendar for my area of when things flower etc and i'm taking detailed notes each inspection. I know from my experience so far that my hives seem to start quite early in the season as we have a nice flow of eucalypt late july so by mid august they're booming. Ask lots of questions here on the forum - there are many people willing to help and interpret what you're seeing...it is quite hard to get detailed and specific information on locations as the environment can change from one area to that a few kilometres down the road. Also, most beekeepers are happy to talk! give Monsieur Payet a call! i'm sure he will be happy to talk to you and give you some tips

Well they are a lot of beekeepers on the Island
But I'm looking is some references on the calendar or tropical beekeeping.
As you know all, you usually get at last two advices from one beekeeper and a lot of magical/mystical/lunar thoughts about the way to keep the girls.

As I'am a surgeon and do not have so much time to walkaround;  I do not have so much beekeepers in my aera: due to road congestion it could take 4 hours just staying  in the car to go and come back from Monsieur Payet (60 miles away from me) and only a few from them are on the net.

It's  thus by far more convenient to read a book or my computer at home or at theater between patients than to evaporate fuel on the road