Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: marking queens  (Read 2874 times)

Offline chad

• New Bee
marking queens
« on: June 09, 2009, 02:33:38 pm »
what pen or marker do you use on queens? Is this the one? Posca Paint Markers, Medium, PC-5M ..Also just for my own queens,what is the easiest color to find in the hive?Thanks_Chad

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: marking queens
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:50:39 pm »
POSCA mediums is correct.   Depending on how dark your queens are, I find white is the easiest.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 05:05:11 pm »
I am using yellow now as that is what I have and it works well.  White might be even better though.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:07:07 pm »
Robo...on your queen marking video, aren't you using a Tester's Enamel paint pen?  Is there any issue with toxicity?  I notice the Posca is non-toxic, water based acrylic.  Also, have you noticed any difference as far as adhesion or durability?
-Mike

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:05:56 pm »
Robo...on your queen marking video, aren't you using a Tester's Enamel paint pen?  Is there any issue with toxicity?
Now who could have put that idea in your head? :whip:   I honestly don't know, I used them for years without any noticeable issues.  I did switch to Posca before the whole toxicity issue was bought up because they control the paint flow better.  The Testor's would easily drip puddles of paint if you weren't careful.  This year I switched back to the numbered disk with non-toxic glue.  I could never get them applied right when I used the cylindrical tube with plunger to hold the queen.  Now that I hold the queen in my hand, the disk work much better.  Ultimately you need to use whatever you feel comfortable using.

I notice the Posca is non-toxic, water based acrylic.  Also, have you noticed any difference as far as adhesion or durability?

I have not had any issues with Testor or Posca.  I have had some queens with original markings up to 3 years. Probably would have gone longer, but I replaced them.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison