Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tumbling bees  (Read 1841 times)

Offline wayne

• House Bee
Tumbling bees
« on: June 17, 2007, 08:36:10 pm »
  I was standing outside a hive this evening and watched the bees come and go. I noticed that every so often a bee would come sliding out on its back almost as if it were tossed out.  These aren't drones but workers.
  There isn't alot of extra activity like robbing, it just looks like the front door of a bar when there's a fight inside. Every so often some one gets the Bum's Rush.
  I saw the guards meeting the incoming bees and the normal traffic, but wondered about those few.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Tumbling bees
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 09:24:24 pm »
Who KNOWS bees are just bees sometimes
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 10:14:53 pm »
Some time when the traffic is heavy they just crash into one another. I see all kind of incoming mishaps.
I don't think anyone ever told them about air traffic control. :)
doak

Offline BBHJ

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:51:34 am »
I see mine do this all of the time. Within all of the traffic coming in and going out all of a sudden I'll see one turn a quick flip coming out of the hive and then get a few steps in before take off. It so funny to me. I've always assumed that they were just getting in too big of a hurry and tripping themselves up some how. I've only noticed this happen when the traffic is heavy though. I can see where they may be being tossed out also though, because I always see some guards bees (I call them ushers) pushing a few out by pushing them with their head up against the others behind. I've always assumed the ones being pushed were more lazy than all of the other workers IDK. Maybe its certain guards that are slave drivers.     

anything