Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not sure what to do  (Read 1285 times)

Offline csalt

• New Bee
Not sure what to do
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:57:32 pm »
Hello all, just getting back into beekeeping after a year off due to buying a new house and other time comsuming things. I just brought my two hives to my new property and one was doing ok, the other was packed full. One deep 10 frame and one med. I think the bees were getting ready to swarm due to all the queen cells at the bottom of the frames. I took 2 frames of honey and pollen and 2 frames of brood with the queen cells and put them in a another deep. I ckecked them today and they seem fine. Was this ok to do or should i have done something different. Will it keep my full hive from swarming?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:51:15 pm »
a better way to go is to move the queen and some frames to another hive. that way the hive thinks it has swarmed and MIGHT not do it.  keep an eye on the main hive.  since you moved the queen cells, if they swarm anyway, you may end up with a queenless hive. 

i'll let someone from your area chime in on whether or not you should redo your split.  your weather and resources are to different from mine.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline csalt

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:02:35 pm »
If i put the queen in the new hive should i put the frames with queen cells back in the original hive and replace with others.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »
Yes. You can split up the cells to make new splits depending on how many frames they are on but the main thing is to get the old queen outta there and make them think they have swarmed already.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything