Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Chuck

• Brood
Where to start
« on: July 12, 2005, 10:37:25 pm »
I am very interested in beekeeping as both a hobby and for the potential income in the production and sale of the honey,wax etc. Where does one start? I am a man of modest means. I would like to build my own hives if I could find some good step by step directions. I don't intend on taking shortcuts but a little elbow grease can save alot of money in most cases.  I have been doing alot of reading but I have not found a really good beginners site on the web. Any suggestion?
Expanding my mind through  the wonders of nature.........Chuck

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Where to start
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 11:14:54 pm »
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Where to start
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 11:29:57 pm »
If you want to start cheap, build a top bar hive.  Buy a package in the spring or find someone who will make a shaken swarm for you.

A top bar hive is easy to construct, can be made of scrap lumber and easy to work.

There are pictures of some of mine here:

www.bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Where to start
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 11:18:32 am »
My top picks:

Beekeeping For Dummies
This site!
And Beesource.com

There are a ton of choices out there. I used the stuff of beesource to build my hives though.

Beth

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Where to start
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 02:15:58 pm »
Like Beth mentioned, there's a ton of stuff out there.  When buying equipment, it shop around for a good price.  You'd be surprised at how one supplier is dollars cheaper than another supplier.  Also, make sure you don't have an apiary near your home (or hives).  I went 3 months without realizing that there is a 2800 hive apiary/supplier 15 minutes from my home!  Knowing about that place would have helped if, for one, they would have a website, two, I would have been from the area originally, and three, they would advertise better.  You never know what you'll find.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Where to start
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 04:48:09 pm »
Otherwise, if you don't want a TBH I'd say buy all mediums or better yet all eight frame mediums.  :)  Those 90 pound full deeps are too much for a human being to lift for very long.

Just say no to deeps.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything