Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: redirecting from url to local file  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
redirecting from url to local file
« on: July 17, 2007, 08:55:03 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I grounded my son from the computer :jail:. Recently I discovered he has been waiting till we go to sleep and sneaking my laptop up to his room, apparently he has figured out my password. I could just change the password but that wouldn't be much fun.
What I want to do is use the hosts file to redirect from myspace.com to a nice little note from me just so he is aware of dads all seeing and all knowing superpowers :evil:. I did this once before with my daughter back when we were using windows 95. The effect was priceless. I can't seem to make it work with XP any help would be appreciated.

Greg
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: redirecting from url to local file
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:58:38 am »
I usually do my redirects in my hosts file. You would put in the ip address of a webpage that says "Dad Sees All." After the ip you put the webpage name www.myspace.com.

192.168.0.1 www.myspace.com

now if you want the easy answer in your hosts file just put
127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com
That blocks it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

In San Francisco without my luggage and darn tired.
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:55:26 am »
If it were me, I'd let him do it for about a week, then CTRL+H to read his history file, you never know where kids (even really good kids) can end up on the net - before blocking him completely. At least then you know what you are dealing with and might thwart any future problems. Goog luck.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 07:51:37 am »
If it were me, I'd let him do it for about a week, then CTRL+H to read his history file, you never know where kids (even really good kids) can end up on the net - before blocking him completely. At least then you know what you are dealing with and might thwart any future problems. Goog luck.
I agree with you, John, but it sounds like Dad is already aware of what son is doing.  He's banned him - good for you, Dad!  One of the problems with kids is that they're so technologically competent, they don't expect their parents to be (so many aren't).  I used to log my boys' AIM conversations, and found quite a few things that needed 'adjustment'.  They never did figure out how I knew, but they knew they'd get caught sooner or later, so they usually gave up  :evil:

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:44:02 am »
Most kids know to cover their tracks and erase any inappropriate websites from the history file.I've been using keyloggers on the kids for years. If you've got teenagers, they are priceless. I know passwords, conversations, websites etc. "Trust but verify". I also have all the monitors facing the hall door so I can see as I walk by. If I notice them minimizing when they hear me coming then I know they are probably getting ready to get in trouble.
When I did a redirect in win95, I could use the line "dadnote.htm  myspace.com" in the hosts file but with winxp It seems it will only work with an ip address.
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 09:17:28 am »
Ugghh....not looking forward to it, they are still so sweet when they are 8....

20 feet of chain and a big padlock....then you can leave the laptop anywhere...

rick
Rick

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 05:15:44 pm »
Ugghh....not looking forward to it, they are still so sweet when they are 8....

Bless you my child

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 02:05:07 pm »
I like the keylogger idea.

I installed Vista Home Premium and it has built in monitoring software. I can lock them out at certain times of the day, and get to see what programs they ran, websites visited etc.

Out ISP also gave us K9 Web Protection (Home edition is Free) (http://www.k9webprotection.com/) and that also logs and blocks sites just like Vista - so some of the features are redundant, but with Vista I have to enter the blocked web sites, and with K9, the program checks its database of sites and contact that should be blocked based on the settings you set.

My kids are 8, 7, 3 and 7 months so, I started while they were young. Also, their computer never leaves the open family room, and they won't have a laptop in their room until much older.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 05:30:18 pm »
I like the keylogger idea.

I installed Vista Home Premium and it has built in monitoring software. I can lock them out at certain times of the day, and get to see what programs they ran, websites visited etc.

hmmmm, i wonder who's gonna be the one to be embarresed to mention something, a certain site or something :evil:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 10:00:41 pm »
had the same problem with my youngest.  he was in his early teens and it was the early days of the "new" technology  :-).  he thought he was good about covering his tracks, but didn't understand that mom learned computer from basic on up. fortunately, pictures of naked women didn't eat your hard drive or spam your computer in those days. i think the newer programs have actually made tracking them harder. 
blocking them is easier.

my solution was to take the computer away after he ignored the 1st warning. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything