Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building a DIY toolbox out of a bee package box  (Read 7813 times)

Offline neurobee

• New Bee
    • To Bee in the Heights
Building a DIY toolbox out of a bee package box
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »
I'm thinking of making a toolbox similar to the Merrill Toolbox sold at Brushy Mountain. I'm wondering if anyone has modified the bee package that their bees came in to make a toolbox. If so, I'd love to hear what you did. I'm thinking that this would double as a swarm box, and a toolbox.

If no one has done this before, I'll have to do it and post my results with pics.

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
Re: Building a DIY toolbox out of a bee package box
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:05:02 pm »
too small. I've studied on it and decided to use a  frame nuc box pattern with a closeable openning. It is at least tall enough to transport frames. I figure to make my top and bottom out of 1x10 and the sides out of plywood.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:29:14 pm »
I'm thinking of making a toolbox similar to the Merrill Toolbox sold at Brushy Mountain. I'm wondering if anyone has modified the bee package that their bees came in to make a toolbox. If so, I'd love to hear what you did. I'm thinking that this would double as a swarm box, and a toolbox.

If no one has done this before, I'll have to do it and post my results with pics.

To me Merrill Toolbox looks  like a 5 frame standard nuc (9 5/8'') whit solid bottom board and solid board on top
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:19:46 am »
my thoughts exactly. ;)
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:45:25 pm »
Sirach

Offline neurobee

• New Bee
    • To Bee in the Heights
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:48:21 pm »
So, I built my bee package toolbox. Check it out.

I've posted pics on my blog.

It's definitely smaller than a nuc and it won't work for a stool. But it is lighter than a nuc and fits what I need for my backyard hive.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 11:13:11 pm »
Looks good.   Just need more stuff in that tool box now.

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 11:29:15 pm »
The Merrill Box is a 5 frames Nuc!! I have one and I would not leave home without it! It holds everything I need and keeps my primary tools in easy to reach places. Plenty of room inside the box as well. I can fit a bee suit and gloves inside. Probably, one of the finest investments I ever made! I even used it one day to make an unexpected split! Wasn't planning on the split and I did not have a hive, but the toolbox is equipped to hold frames and it has port for ventilation!

anything