Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Medium supers for hive bodies?  (Read 8265 times)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Medium supers for hive bodies?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 12:02:38 am »
Suppliers also sell 10 and 8 frame equipment   http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Hive-Bodies-and-Supers/departments/16/   

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 12:15:00 am »
>Michael,  when you use 8 frame mediums are you using a spacer at each side?

No.  I'm using boxes that are 13 3/4" wide and I shave the frames down to 1 1/4" and put 9 of them in the eight frame box.

>Why do you do this? Didnt even know they had 12 frame boxes

I don't know of anyplace to buy them except Europe now.  But at one time it was the VHS/Beta Max contest except in beekeeping L.L. Langstroth believe 10 - 9 1/4" frames was enough for a brood nest, while C.P. Dadant believed they needed 12 - 11 1/4" frames for a brood nest.  As it turns out Dadant was correct and Langstroth was wrong, but the Langstroth caught on and people made up the difference for the mistake by using two boxes instead of one.  In Europe the 12 frame 11 5/8" boxes are still very popular.  They have all but died out in the US.

>am approaching confusion...Isn't all the Lang boxes the same wideth x length...just deep...was the difference?  If not I have a ? or two.

I have two, three, four, five, eight, ten, twelve, twenty two, and thirty three frame boxes in extra shallow (4 3/4") shallow (5 3/4") medium (6 5/8") deep (9 5/8") and Dadant deep (11 5/8") depths.  Granted most of the deeps are now cut down to mediums and most of the ten frames are cut down to eight.

What are commonly available are four, five, eight and ten frame boxes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 09:38:35 pm »
I am approaching confusion...Isn't all the Lang boxes the same wideth x length...just deep...was the difference?  If not I have a ? or two.
Thought I had it figured out. Hum!

A little history lesson:
Back in By gone days there were 4 basic widths for beehives:  5 frame nucleus hive, 8 frame (garden), 10 frame (American Standard), and 12 frame (Imperial).
Over the years there have developed a number of box depths:  Dadant Deep, Standard Deep, Western (aka 3/4), medium (aka Illinois), shallow, and comb (aka box or chunk honey).

Both the Dadant Deep box and the 12 frame Imperial hives have favor and are nearly impossible to find.

5 frame nucs are usually available in medium or standard deep depths.
8 frame garden hives are available in standard deep, western, illinois, shallow and comb depths.
10 frame American Standard and the 12 frame Imperial hives are/were available in; Dadant deep, Standard deep, western, medium, shallow, and comb dept boxes.

Over my time as a beekeeper I've used or been exposed to each variation described above.
A 12 frame Dadant Deep was impossibe to lift without some type of assistance, it was essentially 20W X 20L X 14D and weighed about 180-200 lbs when full of honey and bees.  The outside frames either weren't used by the bees, or if coaxed to use them, left to sour (ferment and mold in the comb), as a consequence the 12 frame hive fell out of favor during the great depression.
The Dadant Deep (essentially the same as a standard deep plus a medium) fell out of favor for several of the same reasons as the 12 frame Imperial, but mainly it was just too heavy to handle without assistance.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 12:13:26 am »
Brian,

Love the history lesson.  I always learn a lot from your posts.

Linda D
linda d

anything