Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do I know if queen accepted???  (Read 9982 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
How do I know if queen accepted???
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:29:36 pm »
I posted this in another topic, but time is running out and I need answers.
I need help on this one please!!

This is a modification::  Forgot to mention the hive is queenless for a while (I think) could have laying workers. No brood anywhere. I introduced a frame of different sizes of larvae (I never could see eggs)a few weeks ago in the hopes there was an egg on that frame they could use. They did not make a queen. Just introduced this queen in a plastic cage hanging between 2 frames. This is not a push in cage.

OK I am not totally sure if they have accepted her or not. I checked really quickly on Thursday, 2 days after I placed her in the hive. I should have waited the full amount of time,(meaning MB said I should wait 4 days)  but curiousity overcame me.

So I saw the bees running around on her cage and I assumed they did not like her because I thought if they did accept her they would be just slowly moving around her. I do not want to assume wrong and end up removing her if indeed they have accepted her.

Any sure way to tell if they have accepted her other than opening the cage and taking a chance???

Thanks for the help
Annette
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 06:36:48 pm by annette »

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: How do I know if queen accepted???
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 05:07:39 pm »
I think you should relax and let her lay some eggs then you know she is working.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 05:07:55 pm »
I tried to introduce a new queen into a hive I thought was queenless.  It wasn't, and the bees killed her in the cage.
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 05:35:09 pm »
If its possible you have another queen(if you got a package not likely, more likely w/ nuc) look for eggs in other areas of hive. If this is a package, just relax, spray them w/ some sugar syrup, if you got it add Honey -b healthy , make sure candy is soft and wait another day. Or just release her. They aren't stinging her are they? Mostly, relax.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 06:37:43 pm »
I made some modifications on the original post above. It explains more what is happening. I should have done this at first.

What do you all think?

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 06:42:32 pm »
If its possible you have another queen(if you got a package not likely, more likely w/ nuc) look for eggs in other areas of hive. If this is a package, just relax, spray them w/ some sugar syrup, if you got it add Honey -b healthy , make sure candy is soft and wait another day. Or just release her. They aren't stinging her are they? Mostly, relax.

Would I actually be able to see them trying to sting her?? You mean I would see them bending down their backsides in that position when they want to sting??? These bees are just moving around rather quickly on the cage stopping every once in a while to look at her. I don't know what is happening.

Should I just release her??? Hate to have her killed.
Thanks
Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:13:32 pm »
>Would I actually be able to see them trying to sting her??

Maybe, but probably not.

> You mean I would see them bending down their backsides in that position when they want to sting???

If they are trying, yes.  More likely they will be biting the wires.

> These bees are just moving around rather quickly on the cage stopping every once in a while to look at her. I don't know what is happening.

It does not sound like acceptance.  But to diagnose it as rejection, you should look for biting.

>Should I just release her??? Hate to have her killed.

No.  I would not release her.  Wait and see or get a push in cage.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:37:21 pm »
could you take her and make a nuc if they don't accept her in a couple of days?  that way you'd save her and have extra brood for that hive if you find out they need it.  if nothing else, you'd have a new hive in case you can't fix that one.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:48:25 pm »
OK,

I decided that I am going to get a push in cage or make one and get her in there asap. Then see what happens.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 12:48:39 am »
could you take her and make a nuc if they don't accept her in a couple of days?  that way you'd save her and have extra brood for that hive if you find out they need it.  if nothing else, you'd have a new hive in case you can't fix that one.

KathyP

This was something I considered at first, but I will try a few days more with a push in cage to see if they accept her.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 12:51:27 am »
  More likely they will be biting the wires.

She is in a plastic cage not the wire cage. This is one problem I am having. With the plastic cage I cannot figure out if they are biting or not. Anyway, I will try the push in, hopefully I can do this.

Thanks
Annette

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 12:38:17 pm »
Anyway, I will try the push in, hopefully I can do this.

Don't use a plastic push-in cage.  They will chew the comb and tunnel under it to kill her if they don't want her.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=14054.msg100860#msg100860

Was this the same hive you had superceed last Fall?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 01:13:31 pm »
The queen came in a plastic cage which is already in the hive since Tuesday.

I just made a wire cage following the instructions on MB website.

Yes, this is the hive that superceded last fall.

Thanks for responding
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 01:22:42 pm »
Annette, I think I have seen the other post, sounds like you are doing all you can at the moment. Is this the hive that had multiple eggs in cells? So no eggs, brood of any kind for how long? Or only drone brood? How are the numbers in this colony, how many bees, guess?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 01:28:28 pm »
Please respond quickly if possible. I already have my queen in the plastic cage hanging between 2 frames with a couple of attendants. She was placed in there on Tuesday. Because it doesn't look like she is being accepted yet, I have not opened up the cover on the candy end as I do not want her to be killed. I want to transfer her to the push in wire cage which I made last night according to MB website plans.

My problem is how do I get her out of the plastic cage quickly since this cage she is in has a candy plug that hasn't been eaten yet because I kept the cover on. I left the cover on because it doesn't look like they are accepting her and I do not want her killed. If I poke a hole through the candy I still doubt that I can just shake her out of the cage. I do not think there will be enough room for her to get out quickly. MB suggested I place her in the push in cage and there might be a better chance of her being accepted if she has emerging brood with her.

Any responses appreciated
Thank you
Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 01:33:51 pm »
I know how to open the cage. Just did not do this because they were not accepting her.

This is not the problem. The problem is once I open this end, I am met by a candy plug and now I need to get her out of the cage really quickly because I am going to dump her into the wire push in cage I made. She will not fall out because of this candy plug still in the end of the cage.

If I just poke a hole in the candy, I do not think she will just fall out due to the stickyness of the candy plug, and perhaps because I will not be able to get all the candy out of the way.

Does this make sense.

Thanks
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 01:38:57 pm »
I know how to open the cage. Just did not do this because they were not accepting her.

This is not the problem. The problem is once I open this end, I am met by a candy plug and now I need to get her out of the cage really quickly because I am going to dump her into the wire push in cage I made. She will not fall out because of this candy plug still in the end of the cage.

If I just poke a hole in the candy, I do not think she will just fall out due to the stickyness of the candy plug, and perhaps because I will not be able to get all the candy out of the way.

Does this make sense.

Thanks
Annette

If you grab the plug end while holding the body you should be able to open the cage up at the hinge. The candy only plugs off one end of the cage. When you open it up the queen will run down towards your open hand, hope this makes sense. The backside of the plug is open.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 01:43:02 pm »
Annette, come into ventrillo and we can talk there if you want to.

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 01:43:19 pm »
This hive has not had many foragers, but when I open the hive the numbers look great. This hive has perplexed me to no end. They hardly ate from the honey frames I placed in there. The bees look otherwise healthy. This hive lost their queen last November and superceded her.  Now I am having this trouble again with them.

This is why I decided to introduce a mated queen from Randy Oliver in Grass Valley.(one point worth mentioning here, is Randy Oliver did not have a queen yet for this year. He sold me a queen from last year. He just removed her from a very strong and gentle hive while I was there)

Perhaps I am to late. I do not see eggs or brood anywhere. I will check again next week when it warms up and if all else fails, keep introducing frames with eggs from my other strong hive. I did this once already, but as I mentioned somewhere, I have trouble seeing those darn small eggs. I finally bought a magnifying glass last week, but when I went to use it I noticed I still cannot see very well unless the frames are in the sun. Well, you know magnifying glasses and sun do not go together. I could fry the eggs before I find them.

I appreciate all the help I am receiving on this problem.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 01:50:05 pm »
I just spoke to JP in ventro and now I understand how this darn plastic cage works. Apparently there is an additional hinge below the candy plug line which I open up. I did not notice this at the time, but now I know what to do to get the queen out.

Thank you so much JP for taking the time to explain.

Annette