Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive removal help!  (Read 2720 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
hive removal help!
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:21:57 pm »
i have been contacted by a man who wants a hive removed from his barn.  it's behind a wall but he says it will be easy to remove the boards to access the hive.  he says it's quite large and has been home to bees off and on for years.  i know this isn't the best time of the year to be doing this, but the alternative is having the bees killed.

any hints on equipment i should take, or things i should watch out for, would be most appreciated.  also, any help on trying to save these bees once removed and taken to my home.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: hive removal help!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:05:01 pm »
i have been contacted by a man who wants a hive removed from his barn.  it's behind a wall but he says it will be easy to remove the boards to access the hive.  he says it's quite large and has been home to bees off and on for years.  i know this isn't the best time of the year to be doing this, but the alternative is having the bees killed.

any hints on equipment i should take, or things i should watch out for, would be most appreciated.  also, any help on trying to save these bees once removed and taken to my home.

If he will let you remove the boards all you have to do is a standard cut out. That is nice.

Here is your supply list:
Smoker
Veil
Gloves
Serated knife
Empty frames
Long rubber bands
5 gallon bucket w/ lid
Deep box w/ lid and base.
Shop Vac (if possible)
Spray bottle filled with cold sugar water.
Pry bar
Snips (scissors or nail clippers)
Queen excluder

Smoke the bees a lot.
Open the wall
Inspect the hive, look for disease and the queen.
If the hive shows massive signs of disease such as AFB or a huge mite infestation or something else in the disease/ parasite area, destroy the hive.

If the hive looks healthy look for the queen. She is probably not going to be easy to find. however if you do find her you job gets ten times easier. If you find her you have options. Yu may put her in the hive box with a queen excluder or you may clip one side of wings. That way she stays in the new box. The other bees will follow her. If you do not find her prepare to order one and have it shipped fast.

Now deal with the bees. Spray them with cold sugar water and brush them into either the hive box or the 5 gallon bucket. Don't forget to put the lid on the bucket. If you use a hive body seal the bottom entrance.

Now lets look at the comb. How much do you have a few small pieces? Maybe one huge piece 12 feet long. Cut the comb from the bottom into sizes that will fit in the frames with the rubber band. Maintain the direction of the comb so that you don't put it in upside down.

Clean up the rest of it with a shop vac.

Here are the common mistakes I made:
Don't rush Take your time. The bees may be worked up once you open the wall but if you wait after that and they calm down it will be easier to find the queen.
Also if you rush the cut out it you are certain to make mistakes.

Plan on dedicating a few hours to this. You get faster the more you do but the first few need paitence. Start early in the morning.

Plan on getting dirty very dirty and sticky.

Plan on getting stung. You take a chainsaw to my house I would be worked up also.

Have fun!!! You will make mistakes it's okay you are not trying to change the world. If you screw up it's okay. Laugh a little and realize that you haven't been doing this as long as Michael Bush has.

If you managed to get a good hive out this come on the boards and brag and boast. If you can have a friend take lots of pictures you can share here.

If you screw up and it explodes come on the boards and brag and boast and tell us what you learned for next time.

Also realize that the aftermath is going to be almost as much of an issue as the extraction. More fun.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 05:43:12 pm »
thanks.  there were some things i didn't know.  glad i asked!!  i figured this was kind of a crap shoot, but not much to lose for me or the bees. :-)  i already told my husband he has to go also.  if i get stung up, i'll pop the benadryl and sleep on the way home  8-).  weather permitting, we'll do this weekend after next.

any other idea....please, i'd be grateful for them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 06:14:46 pm »
What is the weather up there and what kind of time line do you have?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 06:18:45 pm »
I found the best thing is to go early enough to be able to take your time.I squirt with plenty sugar water so the are calm down.If they are big take acouple of containers like tupperware makes to put the honey comb in if there is a lot.I'm taking one out this comming week end I'll let you know how it goes
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 06:50:04 pm »
What is the weather up there and what kind of time line do you have?

it has been very cold, but is supposed to warm up into the 40's or so by the time i do this.  the hive is also on the east side of the barn, so it will catch the morning sun.  he wanted me to come earlier, but i couldn't see any point in trying to do it when the weather was in the 20's for a high.

I'm taking one out this comming week end I'll let you know how it goes

please do.  i have re-read most of what people have posted, but a first time is still a first time :-).  i think i may add vodka to my list of things to take  :-)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 06:56:03 pm »
I haven't tried it but I wonder how hard it would bee to grab them while they are clustered. Take some combs from another hive and place them into the hive body that you sit below the ones you are cutting out. Then carefully cut the comb out of your way and brush/shake the bees into the new box perhaps if not too cold they could recluster into the new home. I doubt you will save any brood if there is any.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 07:14:42 pm »
Most importantly...... take plenty pictures.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 07:27:22 pm »
jerrymac, that's what i hope for.  if we cut out the boards and give them some time to recluster, i hope to be able to scoop up the whole thing....queen and all.  i am concerned about what to do when i get home.  i will save what comb i can and i have some drawn comb and stored honey in the freezer.  i am afraid that if it's cold, the comb in the wall may be to brittle to get out in big chunks that i can fit into frames.

sean....that's my husbands other job.  he's not to big on the bee thing, but he's pretty handy with the camera!  :-)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 09:13:26 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 09:29:54 pm »
  Most cut outs are done in warm weather so this will be different.
  Here's how I would do it.
  Open the wall. The bees will cluster. Keep in mind if you wet them down they may well die this time of year.
  Start at the outside and remove the combs and install in a box as described. Use whatever size box you normally use, and don't waste time with empty comb. Have the rubber bands on the ends of the frames ahead of time so you can slide them in place.
  When you get down to the cluster the fun starts. Here you may need a deep so as to disturb them as little as posssible. Cut the pieces away and install in frames as you go. RE-build the cluster as it was don't worry about filling frames. Place them in the box as close to the same pattern as you can. I don't shake off the bees as they will hold tight when cold and get chilled quick. Some get pinched in the frames but it can't be helped.
  In cold weather the queen tends to hold tight and not run, and this time of year they won't swarm. Sweep up any loose bees and dump in the box.
  Just make the move as quickly as possible and leave them alone after that. As long as the brood and food are close and accessable you've done all you can.
  Set the left over frames of honey and pollen, if any, in a second box over the cluster so they can reach them if the food is needed.
  Don't get your hopes up too high.

wayne
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 09:50:01 pm »
OK I removed a hive of Bees of of the Facia board of a house in january of 2002
in Alhambra California I thought it might be to cold It was about 50 degrees.These bees were on the outside of the Facia board so I didn't need to remove any boards
but it was cold I did what the previous post suggested started on the outside moved towards the middle put it back together like it was on the Facia board I used a little smoke no sugar water It went good because it was cold they wern't to active.You might have to play it by ear It will probably be ok
Kirk-0
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon