Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frames in a new hive  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Frames in a new hive
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:31:51 pm »
Starting my first hives ever.

Thought about alternating Mann Lakes pf120's plastic frames and foundation and Walter Kelley's foundationless frames in my supers to insure the bees draw the comb straight on the foundationless frames.

Good idea or bad???

Want to eventually go to all foundationless.

Thanks in advance.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Moots

Re: Frames in a new hive
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51:24 pm »
I'll be anxious to see what those that know what they are talking about have to say...But, I want to think I read somewhere that putting foundationless between foundation was a no-no. I want to say they said you had to put foundationless between drawn comb.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:09:57 am by Moots »

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:56:55 pm »
Now that you mention it you may be correct. We will see. Thanks  :)
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:06:59 am »
I haven't tried that, I have had foundationless between comb.  It may work, anyway keep an eye on the foundationless.  When they start building comb if its not running straight you can gently straighten it with your fingers.  Good luck to you.  Bought first foundation ever this year.  Made some med 10 frame boxs, already got one on as a super.

Joe

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:15:46 am »
I started my langs with nucs and have run foundatinless with every frame besides the original from the nuc.  If an empty frame is placed between drawn comb they will draw it just fine.  They will even likely draw straight combs with the proper guide, but if you are starting without comb you will need to keep a close eye on them to see that they are starting correctly.  Better to catch them early if things aren't being drawn out correctly.  Michael bush has great info on foundatinless.  If you are running all meds it easy to super.  I run deeps and meds.  I put a med frame in the deep box and moved up to an empty med once drawn.  They drew the rest of the frames without troubles just from that one comb.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline oblib

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:05:25 am »
I tried some like you are asking and some where I used a whole box of pf's then added foundationless between drawn frames. The first ended up with some fat and some cross comb. Not bad but the latter produced ALL good comb so thats the way I suggest.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 09:59:36 am »
Thanks guys for all the input.

It is always better to get information from people who have been there, tried that.

I welcome all the help I can get.

Reading all I can. 

I truly believe bee keeping is pretty straight forward and a lot of common sense.  I fully believe the bees, if I let them and am willing to listen to them, will guide the way and need little intervention from me. I just have to follow their lead.

Really hope I don't screw this up and if I do, I hope I learn what "I" did wrong so as not to make the same mistake twice.

Thank again for your help. 

All are welcome to chime in anytime.  I like the feedback.
"Give it All You've Got"

anything