Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: tame-r bees?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
tame-r bees?
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:53:44 pm »
Do bees get accustomed to you if you work with them?  They would probably know your scent/movements & intent if you were the one working the hive?  My koi know me as well as the wild birds I feed so maybe the bees will too?  I know they won't be pleased to have me rummaging through their home but may not get as upset with just being around them? I feel like i'm in the heat wave part of the country, its 24 & sunny! Keep warm people!
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
Re: tame-r bees?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:13:14 pm »
Not sure if they ever actually get used to you. Their mood changes with the weather, Flow, what color you wear, what you smell like including what you have been drinking, queenless or queenright . One day they are as docile as can be and the next weak they may resemble something out of a alfred hitchcock movie ( well not really that drastic but it sounded good whist I was typing it :-D )

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 01:38:34 pm »
No, they don't get accustomed to you.  I agree with the above reply.  Don't have alcohol breath.  I found that it really ticks them off.    :roll:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 01:53:20 pm »
They've also only a lifespan of about 6 weeks in the summer, that doesn't allow for a whole lot of memory...although that is about what my memory is  :roll:

Koi and birds are smarter and live longer.  The bees seem to run almost entirely on instinct, but the birds and fish have a little more there.
Rick

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 02:30:18 pm »
I agree, the weather has a lot to do with their demeanor.  Open hives on sunny days, when field bees are busy.  Carbon Dioxide (mammalian breath) tends to agitate some bees. 

David 

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:31:31 pm »
Do bees get accustomed to you if you work with them? 
No, you however might get more acustom to dealing with bees.

They would probably know your scent/movements & intent if you were the one working the hive?
Bees live about 45 days. You come in and rip the roof off the house. If I weren't bust coughing from all the smoke I wouldn't ge tuse to it.

My koi know me as well as the wild birds I feed so maybe the bees will too? 
Koi are about as daft as they get. Put them is a round tank and they swim along the edges for hours. They know you as a food source.  Your birds may associate more than food with you.

I know they won't be pleased to have me rummaging through their home but may not get as upset with just being around them? I feel like i'm in the heat wave part of the country, its 24 & sunny! Keep warm people!
If you stand in the approach path you will get stung. If you just stand at an angle to the hive you might get stung but maybe not. 

It is 73F/23C at home. I am stuck in Dallas which is 35F/2C which sucks.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:24:32 pm »
Thanks guys for the info...sounds like bees are surprisingly like the "hormonolous teenagerous" that most of us have delt with! No mojito's & playing with bees either!  Have just finished reading the articles on the hive, queen, size here on the forum & Apr,May,June, July log.
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 11:10:07 am »
Poka-Bee, well, I think that bees will always view any human as an invader and will always be on guard to protect their home if required, you will never make friends with them.  Awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 09:33:43 pm »
also don't wear any perfume, colonge and stuff like that.  don't be newly bathed with strong shampoo and soap.  make sure the clothes you wear aren't smelling strongly of fabric softener or soap.  strong scents seem to annoy them.

after repeated warnings, my assistant came one day reeking of colonge.  the bees showed their appreciation by stinging him each time he approached to help me.  26 stings later, i ended up smoking him instead of the bees LOL.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:30:55 am »
Tig, hey, doesn't that bug the crap out of you when people just don't listen, serves that person right.  Have an awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything