Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rooftop Beekeeping  (Read 9270 times)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Rooftop Beekeeping
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 11:55:00 pm »
My age is 63 and my back is quite sensitive to wrong movements and to heavy loads for years. Now in beekeeping my most valuable duty is to protect my backbone. I try now to avoid all risky jobs and lifts. Last year ago my back was really bad. I woke up 10 times a night. I thought, am I able to keep bees any more.

As a young I did not took care about my back injuries. Beekeeping is really dangerous to back and to sciatica. Now the pain does not heal itself like 20 years ago.

I think that nonusual circumtancies in beekeeping is risky business to the backbone. Avoid them for safety's sake. Use car to drive onto site and lift short distances. Even 30 years old beekeepers have been forced onto surgeon board.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 06:26:03 pm »
Well the snows starting to melt  :evil:

Looking forward to installing bees on top of the theater  :-D

Here is a video about roof top bee keeping.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline redhat

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 07:19:18 pm »
I plan to place my hives on the roof of my house. I get mixed reactions on this and would like to hear your opinion,

Offline DCHoneybees

• House Bee
    • DC Honeybees
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 09:41:53 pm »
I have 3 surviving hives on my townhouse roof with 4 more planned.  And I raise nucs there as well.  I have now 10 hives I am installing on other roofs for clients and sponsors.  In an urban environment (I am in DC) it is the most discreet and space-efficient way to go.  I have had no problems in our warm summers and the bees fly later into fall and earlier into spring thanks to the reflected roof heat.

Access and availability of water are the only special considerations.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 09:48:11 pm »
I suppose one of the positive aspects is that the bees fly higher and will bee less likely to bee in the way of humans.

If you have a small garden , no garden ?

One of the main draw backs will bee logistical , stairs ladders ? heat ?

This will bee my first year with rooftop bees also.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 07:08:09 pm »
This is going to bee allot of fun.  :-D

I haven't put any bees on the theater roof but rumors are starting to spread that there already are bees up there. :bee:

Should help in selling the honey harvest in the fall ,

+ also get more people interested in beekeeping or just the love of bees and honey  :-D

mvh edward  :-P

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 07:55:39 pm »
Good luck with it edward! Please keep us all informed...with pictures!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 11:14:36 pm »
My age is 63 and my back is quite sensitive to wrong movements and to heavy loads for years. Now in beekeeping my most valuable duty is to protect my backbone. I try now to avoid all risky jobs and lifts. Last year ago my back was really bad. I woke up 10 times a night. I thought, am I able to keep bees any more.

As a young I did not took care about my back injuries. Beekeeping is really dangerous to back and to sciatica. Now the pain does not heal itself like 20 years ago.

I think that nonusual circumtancies in beekeeping is risky business to the backbone. Avoid them for safety's sake. Use car to drive onto site and lift short distances. Even 30 years old beekeepers have been forced onto surgeon board.

Finski, you need to go to medium boxes.  I've had serious backkproblems for over 30 years, medium boxes makes beekeeping managable.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 07:16:59 pm »
The news papper is interested , and I I've talked to the local news team , the guy I talk to has thought about starting bee keeping , but his brother stole his idea , so he is already intrested.

" Hundreds of thousands of bees to the theater

Gävle Theatre will have at least 80 000 new tenants, but eventually they can be so many the 640 000th

Up to 640 000 bees to take theater in Gävle.

But they will not have to act on stage.

Eastern Gästriklands Beekeepers Association has received permission to ask a number of hives on the theater's roof my town.

Thus, the association hopes to bring a greater interest in beekeeping.

Culture News / SVT Gävleborg "

Found this article on line http://translate.google.se/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsvt.se%2F2.27170%2F1.2377505%2Fhundratusentals_bin_till_teatern

hope you guys can read the translation ,

the snow is mealting fast now , soon  :-D

mvh edward  :-P