Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Timing  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
Swarm Timing
« on: May 26, 2007, 10:24:50 am »
This is a really simple question made necessary by my failing middle aged brain.
Does the swarm leave after the last queen cell is capped or after the first queen emerges?
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Swarm Timing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:03:55 pm »
They most often/likely leave before any new queens hatch. Thats the understanding I've always had.
If any cells are not capped, most likely they will not be so after the first queen comes out.
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 03:03:12 pm »
Somewhere between when the queen cells are capped and before the first queen emerges.  Of course then they may swarm again and again as the queens emerge.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 04:00:37 pm »
If the emerging queen doesn't kill all the other unhatched queens you can have a problem with after swarms.  After swarms are from the beehive that keeps on giving.  After swarms can deplete a hive fairly rapidly.  After swarms are most likely to happen if the queen cells were not developed at the same time.  If you experience an after swarm I would go into the parent hive and remove all remaining queen cells (you might use some to start nucs) and kill the last queen to hatch then recombine the swarm and the hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 11:11:25 am »
Thanks
My Idea is to pull the queen some bees and the foragers right before the swarm issues, and split up the queen cells for nucs. The reason for waiting is I get a whole lot of foundation pulled from the fake swarm.
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 11:49:41 am »
i've seen a picture of making an artificial swarm,:
open the hive, cage the queen and you put a board next to the hive, put the caged queen there and you brush all the bees onto that board-swarm bees hang around the queen, the non-swarmy bees crawl right back in.

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 07:56:56 pm »
Hey I like that Idea!

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 02:08:21 am »
   Sounds like it would work.  I'm going to have to try it of brood box reversing falls through.  Would it matter how you got them on the board?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

anything