Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees and Yellowjackets -- buddies?  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Bees and Yellowjackets -- buddies?
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:19:38 am »
Oh, what a lovely thing to do.  Peruse the beautiful pictures on my laptop of the long gone, dog days of summer.  We are in the throws of the deep and dark wintertime, brown trees, no leaves.  I can only thank my lucky stars for the many conifers that abound on our property.  I open folders on my computer and there I am -- right back into the beauty of the rainforest and the summertime.  Which, by the way, will come again in a few months,  :) :) :)

When I was doing some communal feeding with the bees, near the end of last summer (oh yes, and I know that some would love to slap my hand, and tell me I am a bad girl, you shouldn't do that thing), I came across a picture of one of the enemies of the honeybee.  The Yellowjacket.  We all have our trials and tribulations with these critters of prey.  But....now and then, I see that they can feed side by side, as this picture will show you.  Have a beautiful and greatest of great days.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Bees and Yellowjackets -- buddies?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 11:22:10 am »
The same thing occurs here when the girls clean up buckets and the like. Yellow jackets and hB side by side. I notice the yellow jackets stay on the edges and the HB go everywhere.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:24:37 am »
At my water feeders I see yellow jackets,wasps,weird bees, and honet bees getting along. But getting in the hive is another thing!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 11:44:38 am »
I often see yellow jackets when doing removals, they are capitalists and will take a sweet meal of honey as well as a protein meal. Cindi, I really like that picture of them side by side, has got me hearing different songs in my head, like "ebony and ivory", and "why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends", another one, "people need people", oh well, nice picture.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:05:18 pm »
Ahhh...just like people...

When there is lots of money available to all, the enemies are in it togather.

When only one of them has it all, the other is trying to get it.... :roll:
Rick

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »
Nice Photo  :-D

Those two look like best friends at the bar, toasting one another for a great year, but soon, both will be pounding each other like drunken sailors  ;)

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 04:21:32 pm »
This is also a great photo for those who may confuse the two to compare as well. Over at Flickr, I've seen many photos by people there that get the two confused  :evil:

I appreciate you sharing!!