Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Its ALIVE!!!!!!!!!! no more MAYDAY MAYDAY  (Read 1918 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Its ALIVE!!!!!!!!!! no more MAYDAY MAYDAY
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:58:19 am »
Following on from http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=12869.msg89182#msg89182

I had another look today. I have larvae! not alot, but at all stages. I reckon I spotted the queen, big brown thing, lighter in colour from the rest of the bees.

So I definately reckon I heard piping that night now, also the big things I saw flying around might have been the new queens from the 3 cells they made.

Not a lot of stores, I might look at adding a frame of honey from the other one, I will check the good hive to see if I can pinch some brood.

So all the advice given by you blokes paid off!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Its ALIVE!!!!!!!!!! no more MAYDAY MAYDAY
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 07:43:38 am »
Thats super Mick,hope it keeps on growing before your winter sets in.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 11:50:13 am »
Heyyy,....thats right! Micks winter is coming and ours is leaving!
That means,............While we're all out there doing bees, Micks gonna be in here for the next several months "Typing away"!
(Just like we've been doing all winter!)
 Dont worry Mick,.....I'll be back alot, so I'll still be your friend! I only have a few hives so I'll have some time!(untill I catch more bees!)
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:54:25 am »
Mick, yeah, yeah, yea, that is good news, have the most beautiful and greatest of days, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:49:39 pm »
Had a good look today, couldnt spot the queen, certainly a lot more bees in this hive than before. Not a lot of stores, so I added a frame 80% full from the other one, no robbing so far, not like last time.

The hive of vampire night working bees is interesting. Lots of pollen cells and uncaped honey in the bottom box, capped honey at the top of the frames in a broad arc. Didnt look for larvae, as shaking off the angry buggers would have caused chaos and it was chaotic enough as it was.

Top box of this hive shows no brood, just frames of honey about 80% complete, so I am about a month away from being able to get some honey. Might also have to add a third super, depending on how much I rob then.

They are still agressive nasty buggers, have to put out more smoke than a steam train to keep em quiet!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 02:31:22 pm »
Mick, sounds good.  When are you going away on your road trip?  For some reason I thought that you would already be gone.  Have a great day, greatest of this life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service