Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Basic hive setup?  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Spear

• House Bee
Basic hive setup?
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:48:13 pm »
Sorry if this has been asked before - was too lazy to do a proper search.
As a beginner beek what is the basic hive set up I will need and about how many frames will I need to have on hand for a year? :?
What equipment is a must have - besides bee suit, smoker, hive tool?
Thanks in advance for your responses :)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Basic hive setup?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »
It kind of depends on which supers you want to use.  If you use 10 frame deeps, I would have 2 for brood and at least 2 for honey supers.  If you use mediums it would be 3 for brood and 3 for honey.  The smaller the super the more frames you will need.  Also depends on how often you can extract your honey.  You will need a  bottom board and top.  I don't ever have enough supers and frames, bottom boards and tops, ready in the spring when you start getting swarms.
Besides the suit, smoker and hive tool, you could need a feeder, and a bee brush.  As for the brush I just use a soft bristle paint brush. I am sure I may have left out something.  I have medium and shallow honey supers, easier to pick up,  a good dolly helps also.  Good luck    You can't hardly have too many supers ready.

Joe

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 05:13:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum  :)

Where in the world are you?  If you adjust your profile to let us know, we can better understand the season you are heading into.

When deciding on Deeps vs Mediums think weight.  Mediums when full with honey will come in around 40-60 pounds for a 10 framed super.  If you work in Deeps, you are looking at upwards around 90 pounds when full.

I like mediums because they are easier to move.  Some beeks will mix size of boxes (deeps for brood and med or shallow for honey).  I don't because this way I have more flexibility with my equipment.  All medium means I can pull any box and stick in what ever combo of frames are needed.  I also work with nucs that I keep in all mediums.

-  Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 02:43:54 pm »
Only thing I'd add is a bucket. Very handy to carry items to/from the hive. Good to put any wax/propolis scrapings in so you don't attract pests. Or put the first frame you pull in it instead of on the ground.
Doesn't take much to get started. Expanding adds cost.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

anything